Sunday, February 24, 2013

Yesterday's Doubleheader==>A Mixed Bag


Sunday==>Good morning to everyone out there in the morass known as cyberspace!! Billi Pod is happy to report to you loyal and faithful readers and followers that it is a much nicer day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. Yes, the temperature has risen to 39ยบ at 10:30am. Summer is just around the corner.

This is in contrast to yesterday, which was majorly nasty with light rain for most of the day/night. It was one of those ... “do I get out my umbrella or just keep going?” ... kind of days. Mostly Billi Pod just kept going.

Anyway ... let’s get started with my report cards on yesterday’s mixed-bag of an entertainment doubleheader ... starting with ...

OFF THE KING’S ROAD, about an American widower who, while in London, embarks on a journey of self-discovery==>B+

The show has an interesting and thought-provoking story line, with excellent acting.

The only flaw in the show, IMHO, was the use of a blowup doll that was in the show only to get forced laughs, which it did.

The final performance was last night so I am glad I finally got around to seeing it.

When the show was over I came back to the warm and dry confines of PHC and had the usual fruit and cheese plate.

My second show was at the Theatre Row Complex right next to my building, and that was nice because it was still lightly raining.

CLIVE, about the self-destructive life of a dissipated song writer in the 90s in NYC==>D<==and that is giving it the benefit of the doubt.

This show is a disappointing misuse of a stellar cast, headed by Ethan Hawke. The plot line can be summarized as: "Clive drinks and drugs, Clive screws every female in sight, Clive treats all women as shit, and Clive dies" ... and nobody in the audience cares.

Watching 105 minutes of unlikeable people getting drunk and/or high is not fun ... this show is frustrating, annoying, unpleasant and just snooze-inducingly boring.

Before the show I ran into my theater-nut friend Mary Maggio and we had time for a brief catch-up. I saw her afterwards and we both had the same negative feelings about the show.

So ... Billi Pod says==>stay far far away from this piece of crap.

Moving on ...

Today is going to be a very interesting day and this is how it is going to play out ...

First, at 1:05pm will be YANKEES/TORONTO @ Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, carried on YES. 

This will be the first televised game for The Yankees. Yes, baseball is back even though after the 4th inning the game will be played by guys you never heard of before and probably will not hear of again after spring training is over.

Then at 4:00==>BUNNICULA - “Lock up your lettuce… Protect your parsley… Rescue your rutabaga! One dark and stormy night, the Monroe family brings home an orphaned rabbit with mysterious habits and sharp fangs. Could this new member of the family possibly be a vampire?” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Yeah, I know ... but it is playing at the Daryl Roth Complex and they usually have pretty good stuff.

The running time is only 65 minutes. When it is over I will walk over to East 18th Street to meet up with Dian Crystal aka My Lady at her apartment. We will eat in. Pizza. And, yes, I have agreed to have an eggplant slice.

Then I will head downtown to the East Village for my next entertainment event which is ...

7:45==>VGL 5’4” TOP - “Sick and tired of short jokes and snobbery amongst the gay population, Lucas, a sexually frustrated and vertically challenged young top, is ready to fight back. Armed with only a laptop and a quick wit, our gallant hero addresses the loaded topic of sex and how it divides us, rather than unites us, in a time of need.” (Off Broadway - $9 TDF ticket)

This show is written and performed by Lucas Brooks and has a running time of a little over an hour. I have very mixed feelings about this show and since I paid for the ticket ($9 TDF) I can skip it with no consequences. We will see how I feel when the time comes.

When this show is over I will come back to PHC and begin watching the remainder of the 85th Academy Awards show, carried on ABC.

I will follow my usual pattern of using the mute button for all acceptance speeches etc.

I know you are asking your inner selves why Billi Pod hasn’t made any comments and/or predictions about this event. Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, the reason is actually quite simple ...

Billi Pod could care less ... of all of the nominated shows and actors, Billi Pod has only seen one ... “Les Miserables.” Remember, he only saw 3 movies during all of 2012.

On this happy note ...

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.13 miles (or, 6,848 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,169.89 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: