Friday, February 1, 2013

WEST-EASTERN DIVAN ORCHESTRA==>Wonderful!!


Friday==>Of course a huge TGIF shout out to all of my Worker Bee friends who are also loyal and faithful readers and followers. I hope you all have a great Super Bowl Weekend.

I am once again happy to report that last night’s All-Beethoven-Symphonies concert by the WEST-EASTERN DIVAN ORCHESTRA @ Carnegie Hall was WONDERFUL.

The highlight of the evening was Symphony No. 3, “Eroica,” which concluded the concert and received a roaring standing ovation. 

Of the nine Beethoven Symphonies, “Eroica” is my favorite, because, among other things, it brings back memories of playing the final movement at a year-ending concert my Junior year in High School at Summerlin Institute in Bartow, FL. I was first chair/solo clarinet and Band President.

I did not know at the time that this would be my last concert with the Band but the reason(s) are way back in the past and best forgotten ... OK? ... I mean ... it was a long long time ago ... and ... that f**king asshole Howard Stivers, the so-called Band Director ... may his soul burn forever in Hellfire and Brimstone ... I mean ... let’s just forget about it ... time to move on ... right? ... I mean ... Howard Stivers had the personality of a snake and the leadership skills of a ferret ... I mean ... whatever ... so ... 

Anyway ... about last night’s concert ... the house was not sold-out as it was on Wednesday and that was a bit of a surprise. I would estimate it was about 90% full. As a result I was able to move to a seat with a better sight line to the stage, and that was nice.

Again, Billi Pod left the concert with a smile on his face.

Today is an entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod, something rather usual for a Friday. First is ...

4:00==>HAPPY 50ish! The Mid-Life Crisis Comedy/Musical - “Bob is having a midlife crisis. He's just had his first colonoscopy, he's having trouble peeing, the A.A.R.P. is after him and now he wants a Harley ... what's next, the little blue pill?” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This is an invitation-only staged-reading @ New World Stages on West 50th Street and is written and performed by Lynn Shore and Mark Vogel. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it?

Then for the evening is ...

8:00==>THEATRE UNCUT - “Playwrights from around the world (including American pot-stirrer Neil LaBute) take on the state of world politics and economics in a set of short works.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show, in previews, is playing in a theatre on my block. Sounds a little heavy, doesn’t it?

It is considerably colder today==>28ยบ @ 9:30am but, thankfully, no snow in the forecast.

Let me close this posting with a HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout-out, one day late, to my fraternity brother and long-time friend BOB KENT aka BK, who lives in Jacksonville, FL.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.66 miles (or, 8,008 steps)

Total mileage for January==>133.99 miles (average 4.32 miles per day)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,103.36 miles (average 5.13 miles per day)

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: