Saturday, January 5, 2013

THE MIKADO==>A


Good afternoon to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers. I hope that everyone is having a great weekend.

It is bright and cold here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World==>34ยบ @ 8:30am. There is the possibility of light snow in the late evening hours.

Let’s get this weekend posting started with Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s entertainment event ...

THE MIKADO, the Gilbert & Sullivan classic operetta set in the Japanese town of Titipu, where everything goes topsy-turvy when a high school maiden, a wandering minstrel, and a lord high executioner find themselves in a preposterous love triangle==>A

This was a totally enjoyable experience with a highly talented cast from The New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players, America’s preeminent professional G&S repertory company. The performers ably handled the extremely difficult pacing of the G&S melodies and lyrics.

Of course the story line is totally outrageous and often laugh-out-loud funny. Its running time is a bit long at 2 hours 55 minutes, with one intermission, but it kept my attention throughout the whole show.

My only quibble, minor, with this production was the insertion of topical references, like: Al Gore, global warming, iPhones, Lady Gaga etc. It made the humor feel a bit forced.

I left the newly refurbished City Center with a smile on my face and I am so glad I was able to score a comp. ticket to this event.

Oh ... speaking of ticket ... my comp. seat was in the rear orchestra, not the upper nosebleed section as anticipated. Not bad, not bad at all.

I was back in the warm and cozy confines of PHC in time to watch the last quarter and a half of the Texas A&M/Oklahoma game in the Cotton Bowl.

Man, the Aggies kicked Sooner butt, winning 41-13.

Heisman Trophy-winner freshman QB Johnny Manziel aka Johnny Football was AWESOME. He set a Cotton Bowl record with 516 total yards - 229 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns and 287 yards passing and 2 touchdowns. WOW!!

What a future this young man is going have if he stays healthy.

Moving on ... 

This evening is gonna be a show that I am finally getting around to seeing ...

7:30==>INGENIOUS NATURE - “A new theatrical mix-tape on the science of mating, written and performed by Baba Brinkman.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

The basic story line revolves around a young man (Brinkman) who decides to take the “science of mating” into his personal quest for true romance. Apparently it turns out that ovulation studies can make for awkward first-date conversation.

Brinkman also wrote and performed in the highly successful “The Rap Guide to Evolution,” which I totally enjoyed.

I don’t know why I have delayed seeing his new show but I have. It ends its successful run on Sunday, so I am happy that I was able to score a ticket before it closes.

Moving on ...

The NFL Wild-card games start this weekend:

Saturday
4:30==>Cincinnati (10-6) vs. Houston (12-4); 
8:00==>Minnesota (10-6) vs, Green Bay (11-5)

Sunday
1:00==>Indianapolis (11-5) vs. Baltimore (10-6):
4:30==>Seattle (11-5) vs. Washington (10-6)

Meaning that Billi Pod will spend some more time in front of the tube this weekend watching football.

I will close this posting with a response to a text message from someone I really care about, who is from Florida and whose first-name kinda rhymes with “tundra”==>yes, madam, as usual you are indeed correct. I am a member of The Gator Nation and I chose not to fly down to New Orleans to be in attendance at the Sugar Bowl. Your point is made.

Oh well ... anyway ... dammit ... why, oh why are females A L W A Y S right? Why ... why ... why ... it’s not fair ... 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.03 miles (or, 11,000 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>990.14 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>88.86 miles

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: