Saturday, January 26, 2013

1,079 Miles==>About To Do It!!


Saturday==>on this frigid day in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, with temperatures in the upper teens, Bill Norris aka Billi Pod will reach his 1,079 mile 79th Birthday Walking Challenge. When it does occur it will be 86 days ahead of schedule and calculates at a daily average of 5.14 miles per day. AWESOME!!

For those of you new to this blog, what I am talking about is a challenge I made to myself back on July 1, 2012 that I would walk a total of 1,079 miles (79 birthday miles plus 1,000 extra miles) between July 1, 2012 and my 79th birthday on April 23, 2013. To accomplish this in the 296 days I would have to average 3.65 miles per day.

All of this was meticulously recorded on the state-of-the-art WeightWatcher Pedometer given to me on June 15th by my theater-buddy Dian Crystal, and on this blog and FaceBook, on a daily basis.

Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, it is about to happen. I walked 5.44 miles on Friday, so all I need is 3.61 miles today. 

After I post this I will dress warmly, of course, and then head out, first for just a bit of walking in The Port Authority Bus Terminal, then I will take the 1 train uptown to 79th Street (you get the significance, I hope) and Broadway where I will carefully walk and wander in the residual ice and snow until I reach the magic number==>3.61 miles for the 1,079 mile total. So ... stay tuned ...

PRETTY DAMN AWESOME ISN’T IT!!

Moving on ...

I am happy to report that last night’s AMERICAN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA concert at Carnegie Hall was totally enjoyable, especially the final number, Brahms’ Symphony No. 2.

Man, I continue to be sooooooooooo lucky about my comp. seat assignments. For last night’s concert, with virtually a full-house, my seat was in the orchestra section, row F, house right. AWESOME!!

Just before I was to leave the warm and cozy confines of PHC for the concert it began to snow but that was no real problem getting to Carnegie Hall. But, when the concert was over @ 10:15pm the snow had accumulated and the sidewalks and streets were icy and slushy. My usual subway line was not operating due to “scheduled track work” so that made the trip back a little more outside in the elements than usual. Trust me, I walked very very carefully.

There is still a little accumulation as I am working on this posting at 10:30am.

Tonight’s entertainment event is something a bit different ... 

8:00==>BESPOKE MUSICALS @ The York Theatre - “This new program pairs teams of emerging writers, chosen by The York Theatre Company, with students from musical theatre college training programs.” (Off Broadway - full price ticket)

The first collaboration will be with Marymount College and will feature 4 short musicals: “The Counselor;” “The End of the World;” “Serious Music;” and, “The Colonel Cluster Contest.” The shows are all in one way or another inspired by the online phenomenon, Craigslist.

Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn’t it?

OK, folks, it is now time to DO IT!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.44 miles (or, 11,898 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,075.39 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>3.61 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: