Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Monday Was Weird


Tuesday==>it is bright, windy and very cold here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In the World - 19º @ 8:30am. The wind chill brings it down to the single digits ... burrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting your favorite blogger must admit that Monday was a rather weird day for Billi Pod. What am I talking about I know you are all anxiously asking your inner selves?

Listen up selves ... it went down like this ...

As you know from yesterday’s posting, I had serious misgivings about my scheduled “entertainment” event, RELEVANT OCTOGENARIANS: Enduring Stars of the Entertainment World, that was to be performed at the 92nd Street Y in the Upper Eastside.

I finally determined that I just didn’t want to see it under any circumstances so I emailed my ticket service that I wanted to cancel my reservation. This particular services permits cancellations under very strict rules. The problem is, however, they have an undisclosed limit on the number of cancellations they will permit and when a member exceeds that number ... bam ... membership is automatically terminated.

I decided that it was worth the chance. I could have gone all the way up to East 92nd Street, picked up my ticket and then skipped out, but it was too nasty and cold to even consider that option. So ... I canceled it and, thankfully, this morning I am still a member of the service.

But, now what was Billi Pod going to do for the evening? He was getting antsy. He opted to brave the elements and see a movie at one of the movie houses 1 1/2 East/West blocks from PHC.

I decided that I would also do a little walking in the Port Authority before my show time, so around 6:30pm I dressed warmly and headed out.

It was really cold and windy. As I was walking my usual route(s) in the Port Authority Bus Terminal I suddenly knew that I wasn’t going to leave for a movie, instead, I would do some extended walking and wandering, out of the elements.

And this is just what I did for the next 2 1/2 hours. First was the Port Authority, then took the shuttle over to Grand Central and walked around there, then took the shuttle back to the PA and subwayed down to Penn Station and walked and wandered there, then back to the PA for a bit more walking and then back to PHC.

Oh, there was a very heavy police presence everywhere I went and at the Grand Central subway entrance I was pulled over by the cops in order to search my backpack. No problem, of course, and the guys where really nice and pleasant.

It was around 9:30pm when I got back to the cozy confines of PHC and my WeightWatchers pedometer indicated that I had logged in 6.12 miles. Not bad, not bad at all.

So, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, that was Billi Pod’s “entertainment” event for the evening and the end of a weird day. Speaking of weird ... the total miles for the day was ... gasp ... 6.66 miles.

Speaking of walking ... as the stats below indicate I am approaching the end my 1,079 mile Birthday Walking Challenge and will reach the 1,079 mile mark sometime this week, depending on the weather. I, of course, have total control over when and where I will reach the magic 1,079 mark.

I know this ... I don’t want to reach it while walking a subway platform or in the Port Authority Bus Terminal etc etc. I want to do it while outside and that is how it is going to happen ... so stay tuned for the details.

Moving on ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is a revisit to a show I loved the first time I saw it ... 

OLD JEWS TELLING JOKES - “A cast of five (including two ‘young jews’) lob old chestnuts into the house in an evening that is warm and amiable.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This is playing at a theater only one short block from PHC. I will to meet up with my friends Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman and after the show we will catch a bite at Angus, which is still my favorite theater district restaurant.

Moving on some more ...

I will close this posting by sharing with my grandsons, Alexander aka Lex and Christopher aka Topher, pictured here, a drawing that I think pretty much sums up their concerns about what went down yesterday in Washington DC. Yes ... guys ... you are so welcome ... love ya ... granddaddy ...












Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.66 miles (or, 14,568 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,061.02 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>17.98 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: