Sunday, January 27, 2013

Billi Pod Did It==>1,079 Miles


 1,079 MILES==>at 2:55pm yesterday in front of The First Baptist Church located at West 79th & Broadway I recorded the 3.61st mile and in so doing, reached my 1,079 Mile Birthday Challenge, 86 days ahead of schedule.

I had left the warm and cozy confines of PHC to brave the elements because I didn’t want to reach this momentous occasion on some skanky subway platform or in The Port Authority Bus Terminal etc. etc. I planned to walk a bit in the PA and then, with about a mile to go, I would catch the uptown 1 train and get off at the 79th Street station.

I would then walk inside the station until I had less than a 1/4 mile to go, then I would go outside, brave the bitter cold, and find an interesting place to clock in the 3.61st mile. Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... sometimes things don’t work out just as you plan them ...

Before I left PHC I checked the MTA app to make certain that there were no weekend service disruptions on the 1 train and none were reported. But ... as I was on the train leaving the 59th Street station the conductor announced that the train would begin running express meaning it would skip the 79th Street station. Damn ... I would have to get off at 72nd Street and walk up to 79th, in the freezing cold. Luckily I had dressed warmly.

When we reached 72nd Street the platform was jam-packed with hordes of frustrated passengers so that pretty much precluded me from clocking any meaningful mileage in the station. So, I headed up the steps and into the cold. It was still in the teens and the wind was howling. It was very unpleasant.

 Yeah, I know ... I could have headed back to 42nd Street and The Port Authority or whatever ... but you loyal and faithful readers and followers know what happens when Billi Pod sets his mind on accomplishing something in a particular manner ... f**k the alternatives ...

OK ... a few more details ... what happened was that I got to 79th Street, shivering, and there I noticed a large church, The First Baptist Church, at the intersection of 79th and Broadway. YES ... that’s where Billi Pod would record the final mileage. I spent about 30 minutes walking around the area, carefully checking the mileage on my trusty WeightWatchers Pedometer.

Then ... at 2:55pm ... I made it. I looked around but I couldn’t spot any TV cameras and/or reporters ... Oh well ... I guess Mayor Mike hadn’t read yesterday’s blog ...

Took some pictures and then quickly headed to the downtown subway station to make it back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC. I was freezing.

It felt really good during the trip back. Yes, I had walked 1,079 miles from July 1, 2012 to January 26, 2013, or a daily average of 5.14 miles per day. I made my goal 86 days ahead of my projected April 23, 2013 schedule and ... gasp ... I had recorded ... gasp ...

2,359,773 steps==>AWESOME!!

What happens next I know you are all asking your inner selves? Well ... selves ... I do have a couple of plans and I will reveal them to you loyal and faithful readers and followers next week, so stay tuned.

Moving on ...

Oh ... I guess I forget to say==>1,079 miles from a 78yr old guy ain’t bad, is it?

Now ... moving on ...

Last night’s BESPOKE MUSICALS @ The York Theatre, the program that pairs teams of emerging writers with students from Marymount College for 4 short musicals==>A+.

Folks, this was a totally enjoyable experience. The house was full and the energy and enthusiasm was evident on stage and in the audience. 

Excellent writing with an awesomely talented group of young performers.

The underlying theme for this event is that the writer’s audition the performers and once they are selected, the writer’s then prepare a show to fit and showcase the talents and strengths of the chosen actors. 

Jim Morgan, The Artistic Director of The York Theatre, and his awesome staff, are to be congratulated for initiating this truly unique program.

I left the theater with a huge smile on my face.

Today’s entertainment event is ...

2:00==>THE FUTURE IS NOT WHAT IT WAS - “A dark comedy set in a world not unlike our own, where society's moral compasses have been broken, the church has lost all currency, and no one seems to have any answers.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... there is that dreaded phrase ... “a dark comedy.” When will I ever learn?????

Time to post this and then get ready to head downtown for my show in TriBeCa.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.17 miles (or, 13,488 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,082.56 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: