Sunday, January 13, 2013

Report Cards On Saturday’s Doubleheader.


Good evening everyone out there in the morass known as cyberspace. It was a  foggy and overcast morning here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In the World, which added to Billi Pod’s difficulty in sitting down in front of this ‘puter to make my usual timely posting.

I was also a little bothered by a runny nose and coughing, but ... and an important but ... I didn’t feel bad ... I just wasn’t in the mood to write ... so ...

Then I had a show in the afternoon and before I knew it, when I got back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC it was 4:30pm. Wow ... where the f**k had the day gone? Well, I had the usual fruit and cheese plate, read some more of the 3 daily papers and then I felt like owning up to my responsibilities to you loyal and faithful readers and followers ... so ... let’s get to it with ...

Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader, starting with ...

THE TRUTH QUOTIENT, about a lonely businessman, in the future, who finds comfort and companionship with lifelike artificial beings==>B+

This show, which is being performed in repertory with R.U.R., is very thought-provoking in its handling of the complex issue of what really constitutes “family.” The acting is decent, especially the actors portraying the artificial beings.

My major quibble with the show is that there is way too much yelling and screaming between the two brothers, the only “humans” in the cast. Also, I think that it is 15 minutes too long.

Having said that ... I have no problem recommending this show ... so ... 

Billi Pod says==>see it!!

My second show, CHANNELING KEVIN SPACEY, about a meek pushover who morphs into Al Pacino's most famous characters, is at the Roy Arias Theatre on West 43rd Street and 8th Avenue 

When I got to the theater about 7:30pm to pick up my comp. ticket I was totally stunned when I was told by the box office attendant that the regular price tickets were in such demand that all of the comp. tickets had been withdrawn and we would be placed on a waiting list with the final determination of availability to be made around 7:55. I could have opted out, but decided to give it a shot, so I spent about 20 minutes walking in The Port Authority Bus Terminal.

When I got back to the theater there was more waiting but I was finally given a ticket, row 0, seat 9. When I got inside I found that my row was folding chairs in the very last row of the small claustrophobic theater. It was packed, of course.

I still had a few minutes before the delayed curtain so I decided to check my email. For whatever reason I hadn’t checked it since early morning, and what did I discover ... an email from my theater buddy Marty Kosarik that said ... OMFG ...

“Billi...Nooooooooo...cancel...run...do whatever it takes but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES waste even one minute of your life at Channeling Kevin Spacey ... This is almost certainly the worst show I have ever seen in my life.”

OMFG!! By this time it was way too late ... OMFG!! Curtain time. OMFG!!

Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, I am happy to report that, despite the portent of doom and gloom, Billi Pod actually found the show to be very well acted and entertaining. Yes, it is very profane but also very funny.

The audience gave the two performers a standing ovation ... so ... 

Billi Pod’s report card==>B

When I got back to PHC Marty and I exchanged texts and I also learned that my theater buddy Dian Crystal aka My Lady had also hated it. When I told Marty that I had actually liked it and that the audience had given the actors a standing O, he responded ...

“OH MY GOD! Not possible. Are U sure you haven’t maybe had a stroke since I last saw you?”

Oh well, Marty, as "they" say==>different jokes for different folks.

Moving on ... 

This was my entertainment event for this afternoon ... 
2:00==>IN ACTING SHAKESPEARE - “A one-man show that pays tribute to one-man’s journeys with history’s greatest poet. The show weaves Shakespeare’s life with reminiscences of the performer/playwright’s days on a Long Island fishing boat and nights as a classical actor.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This was the opening-day performance of this show and it is playing at a theater in my immediate ‘hood.

I will give details and Billi Pod’s report card in tomorrow's posting.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, it is now time to post this and then watch some football ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.03 miles (or, 6,635 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,020.86 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>58.14 miles

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: