Tuesday, January 8, 2013

‘Bama Kicked Ass!!


Good afternoon everyone out there in the morass known as cyberspace. It is a somewhat milder day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World==>39º @ noon, with the high forecast to be 45º.

Speaking of highs ... I know that everyone who is a University of Alabama follower/fan/supporter, including my son Bill III aka The Bill, is still on a high following last night’s ass-kicking in the BCS Championship Game as Bama crushed The Frightened Irish 42-14.

Billi Pod had predicted a Bama victory but even he was surprised at Bama’s total domination in all aspects of the game.

These are the story lines in today’s papers ...

“BAM! Crimson Tide turns title game into Irish wake in 42-14 romp.” - back page of The Daily News

“IT’S AN IRISH WAKE! Tide Rolls To Another Title.” - back page of NY Post

“ALL ALABAMA. Tide Pummels Notre Dame for Third Title in Four Seasons.” - front page of sports section of NY Times

It’s the SEC baby!! Make no mistake about it, the SEC is the dominant college football conference and will be for the foreseeable future.

OK ... moving on ... with Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s entertainment event ...

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF SONG: The Music of Harold Arlen==>A

This was 80 minutes of total enjoyment from a talented group called The 3 Crooners. The house was about 95% capacity with the average age in the 60-65 range.

I am happy to report that last night there was someone other than the usual asshole in the St. Luke’s Theatre box office, so ... no problems. What am I talking about, you ask? Answer==>check out yesterday’s posting.

Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

7:00==>GOLDEN AGE - “Terrance McNally’s comedy-drama set backstage on the opening night of the opera composer Vincenzo Bellini’s new opera I Puritani, in Paris in 1835” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)

This show has received very mixed reviews and I decided to see it solely because Bebe Neuwirth is in the cast.

Moving on some more ...

Yesterday I finally was able to get in some outdoor walking time because the weather was better, meaning, not so windy. It felt really good because I am getting tired of walking just for the sake of recording mileage.

Walking The Port Authority Bus Terminal, Grand Central, Penn Station and various subway platforms has just gotten boring boring boring. When I made the 1,079 Mile Birthday Challenge to myself I knew this was going to happen at this time of year and that is why I tried to log in extra mileage while the weather was good.

So, yesterday I walked over to 10th Avenue and then North up to 57th Street, East on 57th to 9th Avenue and then South on 9th back to 42nd Street. Yeah ... it was chilly but it felt really good.

Yesterday was also another walking milestone for Billi Pod==>he reached 1,000+ miles since July 1, 2012. How ‘bout that!!

In response to several emails and texts ... yes ... Billi Pod knows what he will do on April 23rd, his 79th birthday. 

First ... he will ... tada ... walk at least 7.9 miles. He plans to accomplish this by walking all the way around the outside perimeter of Central Park.

By this I mean ... I will walk from PHC on W. 42nd Street up 9th Avenue to Columbus Circle (59th Street), then walk North along Central Park West up to 110th Street, then East on 110th Street to 5th Avenue, then South along 5th Avenue back down to 59th Street, and then West of 59th Street back to Columbus Circle. When I reach Columbus Circle I will then walk back to PHC on West 42nd Street, assuming, of course, that I feel OK.

I calculate the total mileage to be about 8.1 miles, but will depend on my now trusted Pedometer for the actual mileage.

Of course, all of this depends on the weather, which can be kinda iffy at that time of the year.

Then for the evening ... I have given myself a full-price ticket to see THE BOOK OF MORMON. YES!!! Saw it in early previews and L O V E D it.

So, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, those are Billi Pod’s plans for his 79th birthday. Stay tuned.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.04 miles (or, 4,513 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,002.34 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>76.66 miles

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: