Saturday, May 26, 2012

MURDER IN THE FIRST==>A


It is a beautiful day in The Big Apple and I hope all of you loyal and faithful readers are having a great weekend because Billi Pod certainly is - he has two back-to-back doubleheaders scheduled. Details will be later in this posting.

First I want to give you Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s entertainment event, MURDER IN THE FIRST, about the 1940s murder trial that ultimately led to the closing of Alcatraz==>A.

The play is extremely well performed and the cast is superior, especially Chad Kimball as Willie Moore, the inmate who was “forgotten” in solitary confinement for over 3 years. When he is released from solitary confinement he almost immediately murders a fellow inmate. 

Guy Burnet makes his New York debut in the role of Henry Davidson, the young and idealistic Public Defender who represents and also bonds with Willie. He is outstanding and very believable.

Of course, as a retired Judge, I have to state, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, that many “liberties” are taken in what transpires in the courtroom scenes, but no matter, because the whole production is engrossing, at times funny and extremely thought-provoking.

The show is in very early previews so I believe it will be tightened up because the 2:30 running time, with one intermission, is a bit too long.

I think the critics are going to like this show and I have added it to Billi Pod’s MUST SEE list.

As I said, today is an entertainment doubleheader ... first is ...

2:30==>RAPTURE, BLISTER, BURN - “A comedy that follows two women whose paths diverge radically after grad school only to reconnect decades later, when both are unfulfilled in different ways.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Every one of my theater buddies who have seen this show have given it very positive reviews and I am looking forward to seeing it.

It is playing at Playwright’s Horizon, immediately next door to my apartment building.

Then for the evening is something a bit different ... 

8:00==>SOUTHERN BAPTIST SISSIES - “The journey of four gay boys in the Baptist Church, with a theme of religion clashing with sexuality.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Yeah, I know. My theater buddies who have seen this show are equally divided==>2 liked it and 2 hated it. 

It closes tomorrow so I thought I would give it a shot. We will see.

Last night, out in Oakland, The Bronx Bombers hit 3 HRs to beat the woeful Athletics 6-3 behind an acceptable outing from Ivan Nova.

The 2nd game of the series is at 4:05pm this afternoon with our ace, CC Sabathia (5-2), on the mound. Hopefully the Bomber bats will continue their journey from Death Valley where they have been mired for most of the season.

OK, everyone, I have some things and stuff to do before my doubleheader begins so will post this now ... 

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: