Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Yes, Billi Pod Is Now Officially==>78 Years Old.

Thanks to everyone out there in cyberspace for all of the nice posts, texts and emails yesterday helping me celebrate #78. 

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers ... the big 78 was yesterday and it was such an emotional and event filled time that Billi Pod didn’t post at all to Billi Pod Blogs so let’s begin this posting with an update on what went down since the last posting on Sunday ...

Sunday - 2:00 - THE LIMBAUGH LOVERS SONG BOOK, about ... tada ... Rush Limbaugh==>B+<==funny, well performed and totally politically incorrect. The weather was nasty, with rain, resulting in a very very small house in an already very small venue.

Before the show we were given plastic tomatoes and told we could throw them at the performer at any time, which we did. It was a fun time, that is for certain.

Sunday night was a total washout because ... The F**KSOX scum bags got their wish==>the 8:00pm ESPN game was rained out.

Monday, April 23, 2012==>Billi Pod Turns 78!!

Unfortunately this auspicious day got off to a very rough start because the weather was terrible. As you know, I had planned to walk 78 blocks from 42nd Street to 120th Street, but there was no way I was going to attempt to do it in the rain, even if it was just lightly raining.

And, of course, once I told my inner self that we had a rain-delay it slowly began to clear up. I guess I could have done it in the early afternoon but I already had something else planned and that was ...

2:00==>two staged readings of plays at the Beckett Theatre on Theatre Row. My fellow Dian Crystal posse member Vera Olichney had invited me to attend this event with her as her guest.

The two short plays were interesting but, folks, the highlight of the day  was ... drum-roll please ... Billi Pod’s birthday present to self ... tada ... the Broadway smash hit ...



 NEWSIES,  which focuses on the newsboys strike of 1899 as they take on Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst==>A+

I loved everything about this show, the book, the music, the actors, the individual performances, the staging, the sets, the spectacular dancing and especially the energetic young ensemble cast. You could feel the electricity between the characters.

Jeremy Jordan (who was in the short-lived Bonnie & Clyde) is superb as Jack Kelly the strike-leader.

This show received almost universal rave reviews, the exception being the New York Times, which gave it only a so-so rating. Well, folks, screw the Times ... this show is a mega-entertaining family-friendly show that is going to run for years, so put it on your “must-see” list.

When the show was over I came back to PHC, tried to answer all of the emails, texts and posts and then grilled a terrific Allen Brother’s steak on my George Forman grill, with a baked potato and grilled onions. I celebrated the day with my libation of choice - Fresca.

 On Monday night’s Daily Show there was the John Oliver/Herman Cain “interview” which I had attended and posted about on April 12th.

The “interview” is only about 6 1/2 minutes long and I have provided a link to it below. At the very end of the “interview” they pan the audience and you can see me about 1/2 way back to the right on the front row of the second section.

If you do view it, just remember that everything you will see is totally staged and we, the audience, were not present for the actual interview ... so ... check it out ...


This brings you loyal and faithful readers up to date ... so we will move on to today ...

Billi Pod’s entertainment event for this evening is ...


SEMINAR - “Now starring Jeff Goldblum as the literary guru who eats his way through 4 aspiring young fiction writers.” (Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Saw the show originally with Alan Rickman and liked it a lot. I like Jeff Goldblum and also Justin Long, who has also joined the cast. When it showed up on one of my ticket services I couldn’t pass it up.

In closing ... I hope to do my 78 block Birthday Walk on Wednesday, weather permitting.

WELCOME BACK ALEX==>can’t wait for you to head up to Columbia, SC, to join Gina and Saylor.

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: