Saturday, April 14, 2012

Yankee Stadium Opening Game==>Awesome!! HOORAY!!!!

I am soooooooo happy to report to you loyal and faithful readers that yesterday’s Opening Day game out at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed and Ego Built, was an awesome experience.


The weather was great. I dressed in a light sweater, my now almost vintage Yankee T-shirt and my wind breaker and was very comfortable. Hooray #1


Got to the stadium a bit early and immediately located my new seat assignment, which is, as you loyal and faithful readers know, in section 228, Main Level, on the 3rd base side, halfway between 3rd base and the left field wall.


Specifically ... I am in row 18, seat 15. The photo was taken from my seat. In this section there are 19 rows and 24 seats in each row. And ... the most important thing ... the seat is beneath an overhang, giving me virtually 100% protection from the elements. Hooray #2


I also chose this particular seat in the hopes that it would be far enough away from the right aisle that the traffic up and down during the game (vendors etc etc) wouldn’t be a distraction and ... I was right ... they are totally out of my line-of-sight. Hooray #3.


About my new seat mates ... well ... really wasn’t able to get a full reading other than to say that everyone for this game seemed to be cool and very pleasant. Seated to my right were two brothers, with their teenage sons, who have the full season ticket package. According to the boys they see about 1/2 the games, the other half going to their fathers’ business associates.


To my immediate left were two early 40s guys who have the 10 game Friday package, so I have no clue who will seated there most of the time.


The four seats behind me were occupied by guys who had purchased them on StubHub and the four seats in front were filled by an young asian couple and their two daughters (who were very well behaved). I opted not to ask them any questions.


The important thing ... I didn’t have to deal with either Jobba or Judda The Hut ... Thank You Higher Power. Hooray #4


Of course in the stadium area there are the usual food stations and stuff and a large bathroom.


Bottom-line ... I think I made the right decision to get a new seat location. Hooray #5


Before the opening ceremonies started I went over to my old Section, 212, to talk to my former seat mates but their seats were empty. Will try to catch them Sunday night because I know they will be worried about me.

The opening ceremony got underway at 12:45 with the introduction of the teams.


Next was the presentation of colors and then Jeremy Jordan, who stars in the Broadway show NEWSIES, sang the national anthem.


There was a F-18 jet-fighter fly-over too.


Then came a moment everyone was waiting for ...


Yes, in a very very emotional moment, recently retired Yankee catcher Jorge Posada threw out the ceremonial first pitch to his father.


As expected Jorge walked onto the field to a roaring standing ovation from the sellout crowd of 49,386. Hooray #6


It was now game time...


Now, about the game ... as you know, if you are a baseball fan, the Yankees got an outstanding outing from the recently acquired Hiroki Kuroda who allowed only 5 hits and no runs in 8 innings. He struck out 6. Girardi wanted to give him the opportunity for a complete game so he sent him out to pitch the 9th inning but when the first batter reached base David Robertson came in. Kuroda received a roaring standing ovation. Robertson closed out the game. Hooray #7


The Bronx Bombers got off to a great start in the bottom of the first inning when Nick Swisher doubled to deep center field with the bases loaded. Yankees led 3-0. A-Rod went 3 for 4 with a solo home run. Hooray #8


At the seventh inning stretch Paul Nolan, who stars as Jesus in the Broadway show JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, sang “God Bless America.”


When the game was over, with a 5-0 Yankee win, it took a very long time to clear the stadium because of the sellout crowd. That also meant that the subway was jam-packed. It was about 5:30 when I got back to PHC.


In the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod has to admit that he was tired and emotionally drained. He had several entertainment options for the evening but instead opted to just stay in and chill.


Yes ... yes ... I know ... I know ... way more details than you wanted/needed ... but ... remember everyone ... it’s my blog ... and I ... ahem ... write for ... me ... anyway ... moving on ... Hooray # 9


Tonight’s entertainment event will be ...

8:00==>HAROLD AND MAUDE - Musicals in Mufti Series @ York Theatre - “The quintessential May-December romance begins when a death-obsessed teenager, Harold, meets Maude, 79, at a funeral.” (Off Broadway - subscription series)


This show is part of the series devoted to the works of Tom Jones. It has received glowing comments on several of the chat boards and I am looking forward to being there tonight.


OK ... it is now time to post this and the watch game 2 of the YANKEES/LA ANGELS series. Hooray #10


GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-240

No comments: