Sunday, April 8, 2012

Saturday Was An Awesome Time!!

Good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers out there in cyberspace.


Billi Pod Says==>HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE!!


I am so pleased to report to my loyal and faithful readers and viewers that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was one of the best and earns an==>AWESOME!!<== so let’s start with Billi Pod’s report card on ...


LOST IN YONKERS, the revival of the award winning Neil Simon comedy/drama about two young boys who suddenly find themselves living with a stern grandmother they hardly know, in the strange new world of 1940s Yonkers==>A+


Folks, this is one of the best shows I have seen in a long long time, Broadway or Off Broadway. It is difficult for me to convey how spot-on the production is and how terrific is the cast. This is a difficult show and the cast is stellar, especially the two young actors Matthew Gumley (Jay) and Russell Posner (Arty).


Cynthia Harris in the difficult role of the overbearing grandmother, Kurnitz, gives an award-winning performance in a extremely demanding role, because her character is virtually impossible to like or identify with.


I can truly understand all of the rave reviews and, frankly, don't understand why it has to close on the 14th.


To my theater-nut friends in The Tri-State area==>you gotta see this show ... so ... get thee to Theater Row ASAP!!


Then for the evening was a show that couldn’t have been more different ...


ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS, about one man with two guvnors==>A+<==one of the funniest shows EVER.


James Corden is incredible, what an awesome stage-presence. Loved every second of it. The story line is too convoluted to attempt to explain here. It is a farce in every sense of the word. The humor is smart but also, at times, in your face.


I can’t remember when I laughed so much during a show, and these were good laughs, not WTF laughs like in THE LYONS.


What will the often snarky New York theatre critics think about it? I honestly don’t know and really don’t care because I totally enjoyed it and highly recommend it to you loyal and faithful readers.


Today’s entertainment event is ...


2:00==>THE COLUMNIST - “Renowned American journalist Joseph Alsop becomes embroiled in political and personal drama as the mood in Washington shifts at the dawn of the 1960s. Starring John Lithgow.” (Broadway - complimentary ticket)


Was going to stay in and watch game 3 of the YANKEES/TAMPA BAY series but this show suddenly showed up on one of my ticket services and I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see a Broadway show and John Lithgow with a comp. tix.


It is in very early previews and there is no advance buzz ... but ... John Lithgow ... come on ... what could go wrong ... right?


Then for tonight ...


6:00==>Easter Dinner with Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman, and friends, at their Chelsea apartment.


This is always a fun event, with good food and excellent company. I am looking forward to it and am soooooooo appreciative that Michael and Dennis have included me on their guest list for the past several years.


THANK YOU GUYS!!


Moving on ...


Let me take a moment to respond to several texts and emails questioning my rating of shows. The gist of the questions/comments is basically that Billi Pod gives almost everything he sees either an A or a B. Well ... that’s true ... and the explanation is rather simple ... so stick with me ... OK ... here it is ...


On any given day, through my ticket services and TDF, I have the choice of at least 30+ entertainment events, ranging from Broadway shows, Off Broadway shows, classical music concerts, sometimes baseball games (Mets - barf), comedy shows, rock and jazz concerts, movie previews, lectures etc etc.


Before making my selection I almost always do some basic research to see if I will like the event and ... tada ... I usually only choose shows/events that I have a pretty good idea/feeling I will like/enjoy, either through my research or the recommendations of my theater-nut friends.


Plus, with theater events ... I tend to overlook bad source material and staging, etc, if the acting is good.


So, there you have it my loyal and faithful readers ...


Oh, and yes ... The Yankees have sucked but ... get over it ... it is a long season.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-234

No comments: