Thursday, June 2, 2011

An Unbelievably Bad Theater Experience

Let’s start this off with Billi Pod’s report card on last night's THE SHAUGHRAUN==>DW<==as in “didn’t work”<==left at intermission, for reasons set forth below.


I had a decent seat in row F and settled in to give the show a shot. I was happy to discover right away that I could understand most of what the actors were shouting (everyone seemed to shout, regardless of what was going on, but then ... it was set in Ireland).


But ... and a huge BUT ... and I am not sure I should even be writing about this ... but I think I must in the name of fair and unbiased reporting ... immediately after the play got underway I became aware of a low-pitched humming noise coming from the front of the audience.


WTF? It was low pitched but clearly audible. People around me were looking around. To make a very long story somewhat shorter ... it was coming from a “developmentally challenged” early teens female seated in a wheelchair at the end of the front row, house left, on a slight angle. WTF!!


She was humming, making faces and gesturing at the woman (whom I assumed to be her mother) who was seated next to her. The woman was totally ignoring her. WTF!!


The humming etc. never stopped and I know it had to be heard by the actors since I could hear it 6 rows back.


People were obviously upset but the pace of the show was so fast and the scene changes so quick that no one seated around them seemed willing to make any audible or physical response(s) and/or reactions.

I cannot adequately describe how annoying it was. It totally distracted me and kept me from focusing on the fast moving Irish brogue dialog and, of course, the convoluted story line.


At intermission the woman turned her back to the people who were trying to talk with her. She was totally unresponsive. The girl kept humming and gesturing. It was also obvious that they were not going to leave.


It dawned on me that I had no idea what the show had been about up to this point and that the distraction was likely to continue because no one from the theater staff had approached the woman.


Just as the house lights were dimming to begin Act II I concluded that I just needed to get the Hell out of there, so I did. I would estimate that about 1/3 of the audience also left.


In all of my theater-going experiences I have never witnessed anything quite like this. Totally unbelievable.


Will I try to see it again? I doubt it.


Anyway, I walked back to PHC, a distance of about 1.5 miles and was somewhat calmed down when I got back.


On a much happier note==>The Yankees beat the A’s 4-2 behind an excellent game from AJ Burnett aka Loser Boi. Nice!! The Bronx Bombers have a 4 game winning streak and now lead the AL East by two games. Yes!!


They have the day off today and will then play a 3 game series against the LA Angels, to conclude their West Coast road trip.


Billi Pod’s entertainment event for tonight is ...

8:00==>FABULOUS DARSHAN - “Three generations of gay men come together—with the help of a certain Hindu deity—to ask the big questions and to guide each other through the big transitions: from innocence to knowing, stagnancy to the unknown, from friend to lover, lover to friend, and ultimately, from life to death.” (Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket).


What a beautiful day it has been in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, in the 70s with a brisk breeze. Just right for being out and about, which I will do as soon as I post this ... so ...


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: