Friday, January 16, 2015

Winter Time Blues - Winterworks 2015 - Every Brilliant Thing



Friday==>Yes ... there was no posting yesterday. No ... your ‘puter wasn’t acting up and there wasn’t a hacking problem from North Korea ... it was simply ... gasp ...

Your favorite blogger has been suffering from a major case of Winter Time Blues here in the frigid Big Apple and even though his apartment, PHC, is warm and cozy he just wasn’t in the mood to write ... and ... truthfully ... he didn’t have anything remotely interesting to report to you loyal and faithful readers and followers.

Honestly, this has been a problem for the past month as he has found himself to be much more susceptible to the cold this Winter than any of the 16 past Winters. Why? He has no clue other than perhaps ... age???

Frankly, up until yesterday I have been battling an almost overwhelming urge to remain in the apartment without braving the elements for any entertainment event ...

Well ... yesterday all of that changed and this is how it went down ...

First, it was still cold out ... in the low 20s. I had to go downtown to the Union Square area to pick up a re-fill prescription from my urologist. I contacted my dear friend Dian Crystal aka My Lady to see if she was free for a cup of coffee and she was so ...

We met up at a coffee shop in her ‘hood at 10:00am and spent about a hour talking about things and stuff that have been going on in my head lately. I will share some details later.

When we finished I picked up my ‘script and then I subwayed up to East 60th Street to my cardiologist’s office for the routine finger-prick to monitor my Coumadin level. It was fine.

Then I subwayed back to the apartment. When I got back to the apartment around 1:00pm I noted that I had already clocked almost 4 miles on my Pedometer. This was because every place I had been was a major walk to and from the subway stations. WOW!! And, I felt great ... mentally and physically.

My entertainment schedule for the upcoming 10 days was virtually unfilled. Not good ... so ... I went online and booked 9 shows/events for the next 10 days ... yeah ... that was more like it.

Had my usual pre-theater fruit and cheese plate and then it was time to head back downtown to the Union Square area for my entertainment event for the evening ... which was ... 

The Off Broadway show ...

WINTERWORKS 2015 - “This festival of two-character one-act plays covers a broad spectrum of “relationships:”

THE ALABASTER VIRGIN - A doctor and patient bond over their mutual struggle with drug addicted children;

THE LANGUAGE TAPE - A man and woman’s troubled relationship reaches a tipping point as they “collaborate” on a language learning tape;

FOR NOW - An elderly couple contemplate life, living, and a tuna sandwich lunch as they visit their cemetery plot; and,

A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL - What happens while a couple waits to finalize a life changing business deal?
(Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

I found all four of these one-acts to be well performed and well written ... so ...

Billi Pod’s report card==>B+.

My main quibble is the fact that the seating for the show was in unpadded folding chairs that were very very uncomfortable.

It is playing at the at the CAP21 Studio on West 18th Street in the Union Square area, has a running time of 1:40, without intermission, and runs through January 18th.

Now ... take a deep breath everyone ... because ... by the time midnight arrived your favorite blogger had recorded 8.12 miles on his Pedometer, despite the cold weather. AWESOME!!

Yes ... my funk was gone, the blues were over. Billi Pod was back to “normal.”

This morning I feel great, although it is still cold out ... so ...

Let’s move on to Billi Pod’s entertainment event for the evening ...

The Off Broadway show ... 

7:30==>EVERY BRILLIANT THING - “A young boy attempts to ease his mother’s depression by creating a list of all the best things in the world, everything worth living for. The list begins: 1. Ice cream; 2. Water fights; 3. Things with stripes; 4. Christopher Walken’s voice; and, 5. Rollercoasters. Through adulthood, as the list grows, he learns the deep significance it has on his own life.” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)

This one-man show, performed by British actor/comedian Jonny Donahoe, received a rave review from The New York Times, is playing at the Barrow Street Theatre in The West Village, has a running time of 65 minutes, without intermission, and runs through March 29th.

So ... my loyal an faithful readers and followers ... you are now up-to-date and I hope you have forgiven your favorite blogger here in the frigid Big Apple, The Greatest City In the World.

STAY WARM EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>8.12  miles (or, 17,756 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>63.84 miles (average 4.26 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: