Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Major Doubleheader For Today


Sunday==>I am happy to report to my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the hinterlands, boondocks and wastelands that The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, is presently snow-free. Thank God.

Yesterday was majorly nasty with almost continuous snow during the day and into the evening. The sidewalks and street crossings were really tricky with a combination of snow, ice and slush. It is reported that there was a total of 6” of snow in Manhattan and I believe it.

And, of course, your favorite blogger, being a conservative and thoughtful person, opted to stay inside the warm and cozy confines of PHC to avoid the elements, as any reasonable and responsible 79+ year old person would do, right?

WRONG!! (but then you knew that was coming, didn’t you?). Yeah ... by day’s end I had clocked in over 4-miles being out and about in the elements.

Yeah ... I know ... dumb ... but, honestly, that’s just what Billi Pod is all about ... 

So ... let’s get this blog posting started with yesterday’s events ...

The morning got off to a great start. Around 11:00am I met up with John Scott Reed aka Fabson and his dad Stan Reed aka Stan The Man. We had originally planned to have brunch at The Westway Diner in my ‘hood but it was way-too-crowded so we opted instead for The 5 Napkin Burger restaurant, also in my ‘hood.

That was a good choice because they had just opened and we were among the first to be seated. We were at a table by a window, overlooking 45th Street.

As we were finishing up Stan glanced out the window and who was walking by but two of his friends from Lakeland, FL, Tom & Sally Petcoff. Stan got their attention and they came inside and joined us for coffee. Small world, isn’t it?

When we finished and were saying our goodbyes outside in the snow Scott took this picture. 

It is==>Scott, me, Sally, Tom and Stan.

So, everyone it was great being with you guys.

It was still nasty out and it stayed that way.

My evening’s entertainment was at a venue down in The East Village and it is a pretty long walk (at least 1/2 mile) from the subway station. With this in mind, I left a bit early so I could take my time walking through what I knew would be nothing but accumulated snow, ice and slush.

And, I was right. It was very slippery and just a bit scary. I was waddling like a duck. Now, I know you are asking your inner selves ... why didn’t he just skip the show?

Well, inner selves ... I had a discounted ticket that was offered through one of my ticket services and it was the same service that had booted me out a couple of weeks ago when I failed to pick up my ticket. As you will recall, they later reinstated me. I knew that if I was again a no-show that I would be toast ... so ... off I went.

Got to the theater without slipping or falling and that was good. Picked up my ticket, which was awesome. It was on the stage, house right, the first couch, seat 3 ... WOW!!

Now about the show ...

WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT? BACHARACH REIMAGINED, twenty-five-year-old musician and actor Kyle Riabko performs his unique, soulful arrangements of the Bacharach songbook backed by an eclectic group of young singers and dancers==>A

Folks, this was a totally enjoyable evening that starts with Riabko explaining the origin(s) of the musical, including his meeting with, and approval from, Bacharach himself. Then the multitalented group begins its journey through the Bacharach catalog with their modernistic arrangements and variations. Loved it.

The most personalized song happens to be Bacharach’s favorite, “Alfie.”

The house was virtually full (pretty awesome for such a terrible weather night) and when the show was over the performers received a roaring standing ovation.

Then, as we were leaving the theater, we were serenaded by the cast from across the street playing “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” only this time it was actually snow and sleet.

The show is playing at the New York Theater Workshop on East 4th Street in the East Village, has a running time of 1:30, without intermission, and runs through January 5th.

Billi Pod says==>see this show!!

Now ... let’s shovel away the snow and stuff and move on to today, which is an entertainment doubleheader for your favorite blogger ... starting with ...

3:00==>HOLIDAY BRASS @ Avery Fisher Hall - “The New York Philharmonic Principal Brass Quintet is joined by The Lee Misiker Jazz Trio to feature a mix of traditional and contemporary holiday classics from around the world, including a witty Viennese Christmas, a new Nutcracker, a special Thanksgiving Chanukah, and Christmas favorites from ‘Sleigh Ride’ to ‘Mele Kalikimaka’ from Hawaii.” (full price ticket)

This event has pretty much become a holiday staple for Billi Pod and it is always, and I mean always, a lot of fun. I have an excellent seat in the mid-orchestra section.

Thank goodness this year the performance didn’t conflict with my other holiday staple THE VIENNA BOYS CHOIR.

Then for the evening is a Off Broadway show on my block ...

8:00==>THE JACKSONIAN - “This explosive and hilarious portrait of lost souls, is set in a seedy motel in Jackson, Mississippi in 1964 and revolves around the night of a murder as it tracks the downward spiral of dentist Bill Perch and his encounters with a gold-digging motel employee, a treacherous bartender and his estranged wife.” (Off Broadway - discounted ticket)

The show has a stellar cast: Ed Harris, Glenne Headly, Amy Madigan, Bill Pullman, and Juliet Brett. It has received excellent reviews.

This is an Actors Fund Special Performance at the Theatre Row Complex on my block, has a running time of 1:25, without intermission, and runs through December 22nd.

Moving on ...

In closing ... Billi Pod is happy to report that as of noon the temperature is 35º, wind chill 24º. No snow in the forecast for the next 24-hours and the accumulated ice and snow on the streets and sidewalks has pretty much melted away.

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.52 miles (or, 9,895 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>559.09 miles (average 3.35 miles per day)

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”






No comments: