Thursday, June 25, 2015

Wednesday Was Different/Interesting - Walking and Wandering - I LOVE LUCY LIVE ON STAGE - Baseball


Thursday==>Well, your favorite Sunshine State blogger is happy to report to Billi Pod’s loyal and faithful readers and followers that Wednesday was certainly a very interesting and different day ... and he wants to share the details, so ... let’s get started ...

The day got started with an excellent early morning walk and wander session in my Winter Park Village ‘hood. I clocked in just a bit over 3 miles and that was the beginning of one of the best walking stats day in quite a while. Yep ... when midnight arrived Billi Pod had recorded 7.03 miles on his trusty WeightWatchers Pedometer. Not bad!!

Spent the afternoon in front of my 42” flat screen TV watching the final game of the Yankee/Phillies series. During the game I did the usual walking around the apartment regimen between half innings and during pitching changes. Over the course of a 9-inning game the steps add up.

The Yankees (39-33) won 10-2 on an excellent outing from Ivan Nova, who was pitching his first major league game since coming off of Tommy John surgery that kept him on the DL for 14 months. The win kept us from being swept by the lowly Phillies (26-48).

As I reported yesterday, my entertainment event for the evening was a show at the Dr. Phillips Center in downtown Orlando. I had planned to take public transportation, bus and SunRail. The public transportation planning and then execution was an integral part of the day.

As the time to head-out approached it began to get very nasty looking out and rain was in the forecast ... so ... I left the apartment a bit early ... took a bus to the train station in downtown Winter Park and then caught the 6:06pm SunRail, which, in 20 minutes, delivered me to within a couple of blocks of my ultimate downtown destination.

Was able to do some excellent walking and wandering and then came a typical Florida downpour that lasted for about 30 minutes. I waited it out in a sandwich shop.

Then, it was time for my show at the Walt Disney Theater at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts ...

I LOVE LUCY LIVE ON STAGE - “It’s 1952 and you are a member of the Desilu Playhouse studio audience awaiting the filming of two hilarious and oh-so-familiar I Love Lucy episodes. A charming host entertains and enlightens you to the behind-the-scenes filming process of this brand new thing called “television,” the Crystaltone Singers perform advertising jingles in perfect 50s style harmony and the sidesplitting antics of America’s favorite foursome – Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel – are presented live on stage and in color for the very first time!”

Billi Pod’s report card==>B

I really wanted to like this equity-approved national touring company production a lot more and my expectations going in were pretty high, maybe too high.

The acting is mostly excellent, especially Euriamis Losada as Desi Arnez and Mark Christopher Jasperas as the TV host.

For whatever reason, Thea Brooks as Lucy just didn’t click for me. I got the feeling that she was trying to turn Lucy into a bit of a caricature.

There is basically no storyline, just the re-enactment of two episodes, and, it gets a bit old and that is what disappointed me most about the show.

The show is done without intermission, running 1:40, and by the time that it was over the people around me were getting a bit antsy, me included.

Yes, there are funny times and a lot of nostalgia. I liked the presentations of commercials/sponsors during scene changes.

Am I glad I saw it? Yeah, I think so ... mostly I think because it was my first event at the Walt Disney Theater, which is huge ... 2,700+ seats. My $83.00 seat was in the rear of the center orchestra section, row T ... actually ... kinda far back.

The house appeared to be about 80% full.

The show runs through June 28th.

It was over around 10:00pm and I had plenty of time to walk the couple of blocks to the train station to catch the 10:28pm SunRail, the last train of the evening. The SunRail roundtrip ticket, with senior discount, was $1.75.

It was 10:45pm when we arrived at the Winter Park Station and it had begun to lightly rain.

Now you favorite blogger was faced with decision time. I knew that my bus didn’t leave the Lynx downtown station until 10:45pm and would take about 20+ minutes to arrive at the bus stop at the train station. Do I wait for it, or do I walk back to the apartment, a distance of about .7 miles, in the rain? I had an umbrella in my backpack, of course.

Well, as I think most of you loyal and faithful readers and followers suspect ... Billi Pod opted to walk back. It wasn’t that bad ... but ... frankly it felt a bit eerie that I was the only person on the street(s). Very few cars, too.

When I got back to the apartment I was able to watch the final innings of the Vanderbilt/Virginia College World Series final game, won by Virginia 3-0. Oh well ...

I have to admit that when the usual 2:00am crash time arrived I was a bit tired. Yeah, it had been another interesting day/evening for Billi Pod in his new environment. 

Important item==>I feel more and more comfortable with the public transportation system.

Moving on ...

Well, today got started with another good early morning walking and wandering session.

It is a bit cloudy and not quite as hot as yesterday.

At the moment my plans for this evening are to stay in the cool and comfortable confines of my apartment to watch ... tada ...

8:00==>YANKEES vs. ASTROS from Texas.

On the mound for the Yankees (39-33) will be Adam Warren (5-4) vs. Dallas Keuchel (8-3) for Houston (42-32)

OK, everyone out there in the morass known as cyberspace ... time to post this, pay the first-of-the-month bills and then watch some afternoon baseball.

GO YANKEES!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>7.03  miles (or, 15,377 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>722.67 miles (average 4.13 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: