Saturday, June 27, 2015

Shock and Awe - DINNER WITH FRIENDS - The Yankees - Plans


Saturday==>I have to admit that I am still in shock and awe over the 5-4 decision by the Supreme Court that the Constitution guarantees the right to same-sex marriage.

It was a long time coming but now it is here and the timing of the decision, in Pride Month, couldn’t have been more appropriate and/or welcome.

Of course, I expected the negative reactions from the conservative right and from some church groups. 

What was surprising to me, however, has the depth of the snarkiness in the dissent written by Justice Antonin Scalia and the personal venom directed toward his fellow Justices. It went beyond being “unprofessional” and bordered on neuroticism, IMHO.

This guy is a disgrace to the judicial community.

OK ... enough on the negative ... I gotta say that the past 10-days have been extraordinary for Obama and his presidential legacy ... ‘bout time.

Anyway ... let’s move on to what’s going on in the life of your favorite Sunshine State blogger ... beginning with ...

Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s show ...

DINNER WITH FRIENDS, about a married couple that gets sucked into the vortex of their close friends' impending divorce and the difficulty of moving on==>B+.

The 4-person cast, Brian Brightman, Ame Livingston, Becky Eck, and Cameron Francis, is stellar.

Brightman does an outstanding job in the role of Gabe as he tries to understand his friend Tom, his own marriage and life itself.

My only quibble with this Pulitzer Prize winning play, and the same that I had when I saw it in NYC back in 2014, is that when the show is over we are left with little understanding of who the characters really are, which, I am sure, is what the playwright, Donald Margulies, intended.

Having said that ... the show is still very much worth seeing.

It is playing at the Mad Cow Theatre on West Church Street in downtown Orlando, has a running time of 2:00, including intermission, and runs through July 18th.

As planned, I took public transportation to and from downtown Orlando.

On the trip down I opted to ride the bus from the stop right next to my apartment building to the Lynx Central Station. The distance from this station to Church Street is about a mile. I could have taken a shuttle bus but instead I decided to do a leisurely walk and wander session down.

Was able to walk the entire distance in about 90% shade and that was good. There was a good breeze and no rain. Had time for a sandwich and a diet coke before my show started.

Now ... my plan for the return trip to Winter Park was to take the SunRail, the last train, at 10:28pm. The theater is located just steps away from the station and that was good.

What was also good was my decision to buy my return ticket ($1.00) before going into the theatre ... because ... the show ran just a bit longer than the 2:00, with intermission, posted time. Yeah, I  made it to the packed platform just minutes before the on time arrive of the train. Whew!!

Anyway ... when we got to the Winter Park station I opted to walk back to the apartment rather than wait for a bus.

It was 11:00pm when I opened the door to the apartment and I have to admit to being a bit tired because ... with my early morning walking, the walking and wandering before my show and the walk from the train station ... I had recorded 6+ miles on my pedometer. Not bad!

Now ... moving on to the sports scene ... for you Marty ... 

Last night in Houston the Yankees beat the Astros 3-2 on an excellent outing from Nathan Eovaldi and a 3-run HR from Chris Young in the 7th inning. Interestingly, both Eovaldi and Young grew up in Texas.

Unfortunately, your favorite blogger didn’t get to watch any of the game.

This afternoon at 4:10pm is game 3 of the 4-game series.

On the mound for the Yankees (40-34) will Masahiro Tanaka (4-3), who got knocked around by the Tigers in his last start vs. Brett Oberholtzer (2-1) for the Astros (43-33).

Your favorite blogger will, of course, stay in the cool and comfortable confines of his apartment to watch the game.

Plans for the evening are in flux at the moment. It will be either more baseball or TED 2 ... so ... stay tuned.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

GO YANKEES!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.04  miles (or, 13,207 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>732.17 miles (average 4.14 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: