Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Monday Was A First For Billi Pod - The Great God Pan - Larry and Mary Stallings - The Yankees


Tuesday==>Monday, the lst of June, was what I consider to be my first “normal” day in my new apartment and the beginning of what I hope will be an interesting life-style/routine/pattern for Billi Pod here in Winter Park, in The Sunshine State.

Yes, I know I actually moved in last Friday ... but ... up until yesterday things were kinda chaotic, to put it mildly. 

So ... let me share with you loyal and faithful readers and followers what I mean ... please stay with me ...

The day got started with a really good morning walk and wander session in my immediate ‘hood, which included finding a route that keeps me in the shade about 75% of the time.

I then had breakfast and made plans to secure a replacement toaster oven from the Home Depot store about 2 miles from the apartment. As you will recall, the store didn’t carry toaster ovens onsite, which was a bummer ... but ... the experience of using Uber going to and from the store was good. It cost $9 each way.

Being comfortable with Uber is critical in my new “life-style” because I will not ... repeat ...  WILL NOT ... look to my son Bill III to be my chauffeur. I am not going to impose on him and this is a promise I made to him and to myself when I made the decision to leave NYC and move to Winter Park.

The rest of the afternoon was spent doing more stuff around the apartment, making it my own place.

I also addressed the toaster oven issue via Amazon, something I probably should have done to begin with. Oh well ... 

Later in the afternoon had the usual fruit and cheese plate.

It had gotten rather dark and gloomy out and rain was in the forecast for early evening. My show for the evening was scheduled for 8:00pm. I knew I would probably have to address the “rain” issue for the first time.

I decided I wanted to go to the Park Avenue area a bit early ... so I left the apartment around 6:30pm. It had begun to lightly rain ... no problem for this former New Yorker because I had my umbrella ... so ... out I headed, with my backpack, of course.

The distance from my apartment building to Park Avenue is .7 mile. By the time I got to PA it had stopped raining.

Found a nice cafe, Panera, got a cup of coffee and people watched for awhile. Then I leisurely walked over to The Breakthrough Theatre located on W. Fairbanks Ave, to pick up my general admission ticket to see THE GREAT GOD PAN (details about the show are below).

My friend Larry Stallings was in the cast. When I got to the theatre I ran into Larry’s wife, Mary, who was there to see the show. We did some catching up before the show and then sat together in the intimate 40-seat theatre.

Mary knew almost everyone in attendance and she introduced me to a lot of the members of the local theatre community and that felt really good.

When the show was over it had begun to very lightly rain again. Larry and Mary offered to drive me back to the apartment but I declined because I wanted the experience of walking back to the apartment in the evening (and, in this case, in the rain). The distance from the theatre was .9 mile.

About 1/2 way back the rain stopped. It was 10:15pm when I opened the door to the apartment.

Warmed up some pizza using the oven in the electric stove. Now ... I know this sounds unbelievable ... but ... when I turned on the oven it was the first time in 14 years that Billi Pod had used a stove for anything. Not joking ... the very first time.

Watched the Yankee/Mariners game, from Seattle, and the Yankees won 7-2 (details below).

When I crashed at the usual 2:00am I felt for the very first time that I was actually “at-home,” and that was AWESOME!! 

And, how ‘bout them walking stats==>6.64 miles ... AWESOME too!!

Now about the show ...

THE GREAT GOD PAN, Jamie, an up-and-coming journalist, finds the ordered narrative of his life disintegrating when an unexpected visit from a childhood friend brings a disturbing revelation of the possibility of sexual abuse when he was a young boy==>Thumbs Up.

The cast in this often very troubling drama is excellent, headed by: Thomas Rivera as Jamie; BeeJay Aubertin Clinton as Frank, the childhood friend; and, of course, Larry Stallings as Doug, Jamie’s father.

The storyline addresses many issues regarding allegations of sexual child abuse and the accuracy of memory and/or the lack thereof. It does not have a “feel-good” ending.

This was the final performance and I am so glad that I got a chance to see it.

This theatre group has some very interesting upcoming productions ...

June 12-29==>Whistle a Happy Tune: A Salute to Rodgers and Hammerstein

July 10-20==>As Is by William Hoffman

I am confident I will see both productions.

Now ... on the sports scene ... for you Marty, of course ...

As mentioned above, last night the Yankee bats came alive as we beat the Mariners and “King Felix” Hernandez 7-2 on a grand-slam from Mark Teixeira. We are now atop the AL East by 1-game over the Rays.

Tonight at 10:10pm is game 2 of the 3-game series from Seattle. On the mound for the Yankees (27-25) will be the mightily struggling CC Sabathia (2-7) vs. Mike Montgomery (MLB debut) for the Mariners (24-27).

In closing ... 

Tonight at 8:00pm I will attend an AA meeting at All Saints Episcopal Church, a distance of 1.3 miles. My plans are to walk to and from the meeting. I will be back in the apartment in plenty of time to watch the Yankee game.

Alert==>Tomorrow’s posting will be delayed because at 11:30am I am meeting up with my friend, attorney Rusty Franklin of Lakeland, who is coming to Orlando for an afternoon deposition. Looking forward to this.

GO YANKEES!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.64  miles (or, 14,517 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>601.04 miles (average 3.95 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: