Sunday, June 21, 2015

Happy Father’s Day - THE FLICK - The Gators - The Yankees


Sunday==>HAPPY FATHER’S DAY to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the hinterlands, wastelands and boondocks.

I hope this is a special day for everyone as it has been a special day for your favorite Sunshine State blogger. Yeah ... got a mid-morning call from my daughter Kathi Bendeck, who lives in Columbia, SC, and then a call from my grandson Alex Falletta, who lives in Elgin, SC, which is just outside of Columbia.

And ... for this evening, my son William A. Norris, III aka The Bill, is treating me to dinner at Outback Steakhouse, one of our favorite restaurants. Oh yes ...

Now ... what about yesterday I know most of you are anxiously asking your inner selves? Well .... inner selves ... it was another outstanding day for Billi Pod here in Central Florida.

It all started in the early morning with an excellent walk and wander session (3.25 miles) and then in the afternoon ...

I took a bus to downtown Orlando for my matinee performance of THE FLICK at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts.

I left a bit early so I could do some more walking and wandering in the downtown Orlando area. Was able to stay in the shade for most of the approximately one hour of walking. 

Yeah, it was hot and muggy, but tolerable.

Now ... about the show ...

THE FLICK, a comedic drama about three misfits working in a single screen movie theater in Central Massachusetts==>THUMBS UP!!

Folks, this was a totally enjoyable show, with a stellar cast. 

Daniel Cooksley is Sam, the 35-year-old head usher who is quietly, desperately in love with the unattainable projectionist, Rose, a green-haired vixen played by Jessica Hope. Rose looks down on Sam in every way. She further attempts to humiliate him by making advances on the new usher, Avery, a 20-year old rich college kid with teeming neuroses and phobias, played by Marcellis Cutler.

The 4th cast member is Coletyn Hentz, a full-time student and a full-time employee at Universal Studios, who plays several roles.

Sam and Avery spend most of their time cleaning up the small theater, including pop corn and unmentionables.

The show has a running time of 3 hours, including intermission, but I was totally focused on what was happening on stage so the time flew by.

Unfortunately, for the cast and crew, the matinee audience was sparse, and that is putting it mildly. The show and cast deserve much better.

Billi Pod says==>If you are in the area, see this show!!

As I said, it is playing at the Dr Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Orlando, has a running time of 3:00, with intermission, and runs through July 12th.

I reported in an earlier posting that the show is directed by my friend Kenny Howard. I had hoped to see him after the show but, dammit, the staff told me that he wasn’t at this particular performance. Oh well ... maybe next time ... I plan to be in the area for awhile ... like ... maybe ... forever.

This was my first show at the newly opened Dr. Phillips Center and I was really impressed with the facility and how pristine clean it is.

When the show was over I took a bus back to the apartment, had my usual fruit and cheese plate and then settled into the cool and comfortable confines of my apartment to watch some baseball for the evening.

The game that was most important to me was the Gators/Virginia game in The College World Series, from Omaha, Neb.  Well, it was a nail-biter in the first degree. Dammit, my Gators lost 5-4 and were eliminated from the CWS.

With the win Virginia moves to the finals on Monday against Vanderbilt. I will be pulling for Vandy.

My other game was the Yankees/Detroit game and the Yankees kicked butt, winning 14-3 on the long ball from Carlos Beltran, A-Rod and Chris Young.

Well ... as I am working on this posting the Yankees got their butts kicked by Detroit at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, losing 12-4, as Masahiro Tanaka had a terrible outing. Oh well ...

The Yankees will next play a 3-game series against the Phillies, beginning Monday in The Bronx. 

In closing==>have a very interesting week coming up and I will share the details with you loyal and faithful readers and followers tomorrow.

GO GATORS!! GO YANKEES!!

Thursday's Pedometer mileage==>3.43 miles (or 7,509 steps)

Friday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.84 miles (or, 14,950 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>702.31 miles (average 4.10 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: