Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Recovery Process Continues


Good morning my loyal and faithful readers and followers.

I am pleased to report that the recovery process is very much underway with the subway system now partially open and bus service available in many areas. That’s the good news. The bad news for the hundreds of thousands living in lower Manhattan is that power has yet to be restored down there. Bummer!!

The major source of that problem was the explosion at the East 14th Street ConEd substation. I know this is a continuing source of frustration for those living South of 23rd Street, and that includes my theater buddy Dian Crystal aka My Lady.

My Lady, a native New Yorker, is hanging tough as I knew she would. So are the approximately 251,373 others living in lower Manhattan who remain without power.

The whole power problem is a harsh reminder of how dependent we have all become on our electronic devices - computers, tablets, Smart Phones, etc.,  and, of course, the Internet - and how fragile this reliance is. Just getting your Smart Phone recharged can be a major problem and often it makes you dependent on the kindness of others.

A good example==>yesterday I stopped at the Duane/Reade drug store at 42nd and 8th Avenue and saw that dozens of people were sitting on the floor throughout the store with their devices plugged into the store’s electrical outlets. Of course, those Starbucks that have reopened are jam-packed.

The disruptions in public transportation and the restrictions on bridges and tunnels has closed many businesses because employees simply can’t get to their jobs and/or supply trucks aren’t able to deliver.

This has also caused mass, and I mean MASS congestion on the roads throughout The City and created almost a warlike atmosphere between pedestrians and drivers.

But ... the important thing is that the recovery process is well underway.

Now ... kinda moving on ...

I posted yesterday that my evening’s entertainment event was supposed to be a “Rush Hour” concert by the NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC. Well, it was canceled. 

Luckily I received that notification before I headed out for my matinee. I was able to schedule another Broadway show for the evening, so ... let’s have Billi Pod’s report cards on what turned out to be a Broadway doubleheader ...

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD, about the “alleged” murder of young Edwin Drood, where the audience selects who-did-it==>B+

It is fun and very well performed, led by Jim Norton and Chita Rivera. The so-called voting process throughout the performance is interesting. Frankly, the show grew on me as it developed.

It is definitely worth seeing.

My comp. seat was in the very upper nosebleed section, in the very last row of the rear mezzanine. Barf!! I was, however, able to move down to a much better seat just moments before curtain-time.

An additional plus for the show was running into my friends Bob & Lillian, confirmed theater-nuts like moi. We hadn’t seen each other in some time so it was nice to have the opportunity to do some catching up.

When the show was over I came back to PHC and had the usual fruit and cheese plate and then it was time to head back to Broadway for my second show, which was ...

SCANDALOUS - “A musical based on the life of Aimee Semple McPherson, the world's first media superstar whose passion for saving souls equaled her passion for making headlines.” (Broadway - complimentary ticket)

Billi Pod’s report card==>C

Frankly, Billi Pod is giving the show the benefit of the doubt with a grade of C. An incredible performance from Carolee Carmello, as Aimee Semple McPherson, saves the show. I was never into either the story line or the characters. At the end I could have cared less about McPherson. It needs serious cutting if it is to survive the New York critics.

Billi Pod says==>you are warned.

Moving on ...

I have now booked events up until Sunday. Have avoided any show performing below 28th Street.

Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

8:00==>THE AUSTERITY OF HOPE - “The interpersonal dynamics of a group of gay friends in Astoria Queens and the issues they and young adults across the country confronted during the 2008 election of Barack Obama - relationships, careers, finances and sex.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This sounds like a lot of fun, doesn’t it?

On the sports scene ...

Hopefully The Gators will bounce back from their pitiful performance last Saturday against The Bulldogs. 

The GATOR/MISSOURI game @ The Swamp is at noon on Saturday, carried locally on ESPN2. Coach Muskrat better have his team back in shape.

Had a decent walking day yesterday. I will post this and then head out. It is cold and windy, 46ยบ, so I think I will check out The Port Authority Bus Terminal, if it has reopened.

Oh ... thanks again for the emails, texts, posts and calls. They mean a lot to me.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.35 miles (or, 11,696 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>664.65

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>414.35

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: