Saturday, November 10, 2012

Saturday Is Another Doubleheader


Good morning my loyal and faithful readers and followers. I hope that everyone out there in the morass known as cyberspace is having a great weekend - Billi Pod certainly is.

Last night’s NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC All Brahms concert was absolutely wonderful

It started off a bit strange, however. First the orchestra’s Executive Director came on stage to announce that in the first number, Brahms Concerto for Violin and Cello, the original cellist, Carter Brey, was unable to perform and that he was being replaced by Alisa Weilerstein. I actually knew this in advance because they had sent an email to subscribers.

Then he said that Conductor Emeritus Kurt Masur was “unable” (he could have said "unavailable") to conduct the Concerto and would be replaced by one of the resident conductors. He then said that Masur would conduct the second number, Brahms Symphony No. 2. That sounded really strange and my seat mates and I exchanged puzzled looks. Well ... 

I am pleased to report that the Concerto sounded flawless and violinist Glenn Dicterow and cellist Weilerstein received a roaring ovation.

After intermission Kurt Masur came out and he received a loud round of applause. But, my God ... he looked old, gaunt and very very frail. He is 85yrs old and is reported to be suffering from Parkinson’s disease.

Well, whatever the problem was/is, it didn’t interfere with his masterful conducting of the beautiful Symphony No. 2  and he and the orchestra were rewarded with a standing ovation.

Yes, it was indeed a great concert.

As I posted yesterday, Masur has another All Brahms concert scheduled for next week, featuring Symphonies No. 3 and No. 4. I will be there.

I had gotten to Lincoln Center about an hour early so I had a nice walk session in the underground areas of the Center, obviously out of the elements. When the concert was over it was too windy and cold for me to consider walking back to the apartment so I took the subway to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and did a 30-minute walk-around there.

Moving on ... 

In yesterday’s posting I bitched about today’s GATOR/LOUISIANA game not being carried locally. Well, after booking an afternoon show I found out that the game will, in fact, be carried locally on MSG. Damn!!

I had checked with the Gator Zone website and all it said was that the game would be carried on the SEC Network. I will have to depend on my grandson Chris Falletta aka Topher to keep me up-to-date via texts.

Oh, well. This is what today’s entertainment doubleheader looks like ...

2:15==>A TWIST OF WATER - “The daughter of a gay widower seeks her birth mother in this modern drama about what it means to be a family.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is playing at the 59th Street Theatre Complex, one of my favorite venues.

Then for the evening is ...

8:00==>THE PERFORMERS - “A romantic comedy about the ins and outs of life and love in the adult entertainment industry.” (Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This Broadway show features hot and sexy Cheyenne Jackson and Ari Graynor, Alicia Silverstone and Henry Winkler. It is in previews and the advance buzz has been very mixed, basically either “loved-it” or “hated-it.”

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.78 miles (or, 14,827 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>708.40

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>370.60

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: