Sunday, November 11, 2012

VETERANS DAY==>WE MUST NEVER FORGET!!


I was part of the Universal Military Training generation, where basically every physically fit guy ultimately served in some branch of the military, unless he qualified for an extremely difficult to get exemption.

I was in the Army in 1955-57. Basic training at Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC, then US Army Intelligence School at Ft. Holabird in Baltimore, MD.

Then was stationed in Washington, DC, as a member of a Counter-Intelligence Corps (CIC) unit. We were basically undercover since we were outfitted in civilian clothes (paid for by the Army) and our rank was classified. I had a Top Secret Clearance. My CIC unit mostly did background investigations for security clearances.

We were required to live “off-base” so 4 buddies and I rented a house in Arlington, VA.

I only put on my uniform to get the weekend dirt-cheap round-trip tickets from DC to New York City. Me and 2 of my buds would head up to NYC about twice a month.

I got an early release in order to return to the University of Florida, as a 23yo Sophomore. There was no GI Bill at that time. It was later restored but not made retroactive if you had already received your degree(s).

I was in the Inactive Reserve for 8 years and then received my Honorable Discharge.

I am very proud of the time I was in the service and, of course, am busting with pride over the willingness of my oldest grandson, Alex Falletta aka Army Guy, to have placed himself in harms way in order to protect this great Country of ours.

I Thank God every night for Alex's safe return from his Mid-East deployment. He remains an Apache Helicopter pilot in The National Guard in Columbia, SC.

GOD BLESS AND PROTECT YOU ALEX AND ALL OF YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ARMS. 

WE MUST NEVER, EVER, FORGET!!

Bill

No comments: