Friday, November 2, 2012

A Sandy Update And AWESOME Walking Stats


TGIF for all of my Worker Bee friends out there in the hinterlands, boondocks, and wastelands. Just a reminder==>your weekend DOES NOT start until at least 5:00pm, so don’t even think about leaving early. Don’t do it!!

Yes, New York City is in a recovery mode. Most of lower Manhattan remains without power although ConEd reports that it should be restored by tomorrow. We will just have to see about that.

Subways are partially open. Bus service is pretty much back to normal. Bridge and tunnel access restrictions (must have 3-people per vehicle) are in effect. Massive congestion on roads and highways. There are very long lines at gas stations.

The death toll for NYC is now at 40 with many (mostly elderly) still missing or unaccounted for.

Tempers are beginning to flare, not helped by the decision to let the New York City Marathon go on as scheduled on Sunday. The complaint is about the diversion of law enforcement personnel and electrical power. The counter-argument is that NYC must move on and the event will bring millions of dollars into the now very fragile local economy.

When I went to my ‘hood Food Emporium yesterday I was stunned at the number of still empty shelves. No milk, scant bread, depleted fruit, no orange juice etc etc. One of the employees told me the problem was the difficulty in reaching their supply warehouses.

Despite all of this, the recovery effort continues and we New Yorkers will, of course, prevail.

Again, thanks so much for your continued support via emails, texts, messages and calls.

OK, now let’s move on with Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s entertainment event ...

THE AUSTERITY OF HOPE, about the interpersonal dynamics of a group of gay friends in Astoria Queens and the issues they face==>B+

Very interesting story line and excellent acting. Thankfully, it avoids the usual theater gay stereotypes. 

When the show was over I had a brief conversation with the playwright, Dan Fingerman. This is his first play. Dan is a member of one of the on-line “show-alert” lists I belong to and this is how I “knew” him. I told him how much I enjoyed the show and he seemed to be very appreciative.

Unfortunately the show closes on Saturday.

Tonight’s entertainment event is ... 

8:00==>SON OF A GUN - “A quirky, darkly comic, folk/rock musical that tells the story of Danderhauler Agamenon Khrusty, the eldest of three sons of Winston and Elmadora Khrusty, and the heir apparent to the throne of the Khrusty family Appalachian band.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This is the first preview performance and it is playing at a theatre on my block.

I want to take a moment to give you loyal and faithful readers and followers some thoughts on the current status of my 1,079 mile walking adventure/challenge.

For those of you who are new to this blog, the following is an excerpt from the original posting back on August 6th ...
******************
“Between July 1, 2012 and April 23, 2013, my 79th birthday, I will walk at least==>1,079 miles. 

Yes ... that is the correct figure==>1,079 miles<==calculated at 1,000 miles plus an additional 79 miles honoring my next birthday.

For you number crunchers the total days are 296, so the daily average must be at least 3.65 miles, or 25.51 per week.

Of course the mileage will be recorded on my Weight Watchers Pedometer, but you already knew that, didn’t you.”

Why am I doing this I know some of you are asking? Simple. Two reasons: (1) Because I want to; and (2) Because I can.”
*************************
I am now 4 months into the adventure/challenge and these are the stats:

July==>123.25 miles - avg. per day==>3.98 miles
August==>166.74 miles - avg. per day==>5.38 miles.
September==>191.30 miles - avg. per day==>6.38 miles
October==>183.36 miles - avg. per day==>5.91 miles

Total mileage since 7/1==>664.65 miles - avg. per day==>5.40 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>408.94 miles

Total steps==>1,453,590 (awesome)

Extra mileage in storage locker==>215.70 miles, or 59 days @ zero mileage

The extra mileage in my storage locker is very important because the weather here in The Big Apple is becoming colder and colder and the winds coming off of the Hudson River and blowing East on 42nd Street are already uncomfortable for Billi Pod.

Two factors make me more susceptible to colder weather: (1) I was born and raised in Florida and (2) I am on blood thinner.

One of the reasons I have been able to survive up here in The Big Apple during the winter months has been my ability to schedule events in such a manner as to limit my time outside in the elements. This was one of the factors that brought me to 420 W. 42nd Street.

Well, now, my challenge/adventure basically requires me to take the long-way between points A & B, rather than the most efficient. Yes, I know that I have made reference(s) to access to The Port Authority Bus Terminal and Penn Station, but ... dammit ... those routes have already become B O R I N G!!

Yeah, on November 2nd, Billi Pod’s body is saying==>“hey, asshole, get off your butt and let’s go walking” while his inner self is saying==>“self, don’t be stupid, it’s freezing out, you are 78yrs. old and self doesn’t want to die of pneumonia.”

Well, I will, of course, keep you loyal and faithful readers up-to-date as the weather gets colder and colder.

Moving on ...

In Billi Pod’s mind the countdown to Saturday’s noon GATOR/MISSOURI game @ The Swamp has begun.

We are currently 17-point favorites. Not sure I agree with this given our offensive problems. I hope Coach Muskrat and his staff have come up with an offensive “plan.”

Will post this and do some walking and wandering in my immediate ‘hood. At 1:30pm it is 52ยบ and windy.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.41 miles (or, 11,827 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>670.06

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>408.94

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: