Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wednesday’s Broadway Doubleheader Was Excellent


I am happy to report to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers that Wednesday’s Broadway doubleheader was excellent, starting with ...

GOLDEN BOY, about the swift rise of a gifted twenty-one-year-old violinist, Joe Bonapart, who is corrupted by fame and fortune when he chooses to become a professional boxer==>B+

The acting is excellent but, honestly, the only character I cared a flying-f**k for or about was Joe’s father played by Tony Shalhoub.

Thankfully, the set-change problems that plagued this show in its early previews have been resolved.

The show is long, clocking in at 2 hours and 50 minutes, with 3 acts and 2 intermissions.

My comp. seat was excellent, in the orchestra, row P.

Having said this ... if you are a theatre-buff you gotta see this show.

Then for the evening I had a return visit to ...

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD, everyone on stage is a suspect in the murder of young Edwin Drood and the audience gets to choose the killer==>A

Totally funny with extraordinary cast. I especially loved the staging.

When I first saw this show in early previews I gave it a B+. Since then the show has been tightened up and it just feels better, so Billi Pod upgraded it.

Oh, I was concerned that my comp. seat would again be in the upper nosebleed section. Well, my seat couldn’t have been better for this show. I was on the aisle in the first row, house left. This area often interacts with the cast. It was fun.

Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

8:00==>THE REBIRTH OF LINE - “An infusion of new blood, new life and a new vision into NYC’s long running  show by Israel Horovitz. Five people are standing in ‘line’ all thinking they are standing in line for something different, all striving to be first at any cost.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show has been running downtown since 1974, making it the longest running NYC theater production. I like the show but hate the venue, the 13th Street Repertory Theatre, so when it was announced that a “refreshed” version was being mounted at The Producer’s Club on West 44th Street I decided to give it a shot. It is, of course, still running downtown. 

WTF? As of this moment Billi Pod has nothing on his entertainment schedule for the upcoming 5 days, with the exception of probably watching the SEC Championship game @ 4:00pm on Saturday. WTF?

Oh, don’t panic my loyal and faithful readers and followers, things will show up, you may be certain of that because Billi Pod lives in New York City, The Greatest City In The World.

Wow!! Billi Pod Blogs is approaching 40,000 hits. WOW!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.30 miles (or, 11,593 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>812.10

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>266.90

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: