Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Billi Pod Is Alive And Well


Good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers.

Yes, I am happy to report that Billi Pod survived Hurricane Sandy and he is doing fine as the rest of the City is in the process of recovering from the devastation and havoc brought about by the hurricane. Luckily 420 W. 42nd Street avoided any damage or power outage.

One minor glitch was the interruption of service from my WiFi provider. I lost it at 8:30pm on Monday. The reason it was disrupted was because the provider’s location is in downtown Manhattan, which was/is without power.

This meant that my internet access had to be provided by my iPhone 4G, which made posting to this blog virtually impossible.

Service was restored sometime on Tuesday night, however, as I am working on this posting at 9:30am on Wednesday morning the system isn’t working. F**K!!

Well, I will just continue working on this posting and hopefully WiFi service will be restored again. 

As you know, Hurricane Sandy dealt death and destruction to the Tri-State area. In Manhattan the record tidal surges resulted in major flooding in lower Manhattan. This caused the subway system to be shutdown and loss of power for most of the lower Manhattan areas.

Bus service has been partially restored but the subways remain closed. A major part of lower Manhattan is still without power.

Monday and Tuesday were two of the longest days/nights I can ever remember. The time I spent watching TV was second only to the aftermath of 9/11/01.

Yesterday I was able to have decent walk and wander times even though it was majorly nasty weather, misting rain, cold and windy. I walked over to the Hudson River and took this picture of the wind damage to the space shuttle Enterprise exhibit located on the USS Intrepid.

For the evening I had planned to catch a movie but all of the movie theaters in my immediate ‘hood were still closed down, so I walked down to the Chelsea area where everything South of 28th Street is without power. Man, was that eerie looking/feeling.

Damn, the service is still down. WTF??

Bottom line on Sandy==>we are in recovery and are moving on with our lives. We New Yorkers are a tough breed and we will survive, regardless of the circumstances.

Thanks for all of the emails, texts, postings and telephone calls. They really mean a lot to me.

So ... moving on ...

Today is an entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod ...

First is a Broadway show ...

2:00==>THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD - “In this raucous staging of Charles Dickens’ last novel everyone on stage is a suspect in the murder of young Edwin Drood and the audience gets to choose the killer.” (Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show is in early previews and the advance buzz is very favorable.

When the show is over I will leisurely walk up to the Lincoln Center area for my second event, which is ...

6:45==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - “Rush Hour Concert”

The program is: Rachmaninoff -  Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and Elgar - Enigma Variations
(discounted TDF ticket)

When the concert is over I will, of course, walk back to the apartment.

WOW!! It is 10:30am and I now have WiFi access. So ... it is time to post this before it goes out again.

On Monday I only walked 1.05 miles, all within my apartment. This is the reason I have worked to put mileage in my storage locker. Tuesday I was able to have a couple of good walk and wander sessions. 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>7.44 miles (or, 16,270 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>659.30

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>419.70

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”





No comments: