Saturday, February 11, 2012

Scary Elevator Incident and Billi Pod’s Upcoming Doubleheader.

Good morning all of my loyal and faithful readers.


It is majorly nasty weather in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The Word, this morning==>32º @ 8:00am, rain and light snow.


It is now 10:00am as I am writing this posting and it is snowing much heavier. No doubt about it ... it is gonna be a slushy day/night, which ain’t good because both of my entertainment events are kinda far away from mass transportation. Plus ... there are massive service schedules this weekend on several of the subway lines. Oh well ... ain’t nothing Billi Pod can do about it ... so ... let’s move on to ...


Yesterday evening I had one of those OMG!! WTF!! scary moments you dream about (or have nightmares about) if you live in a high-rise apartment building like 420 W. 42nd Street. What am I talking about you are no doubt breathlessly asking?


Well ... it goes like this ... I was heading out to my Carnegie Hall concert, which had a 8:00pm starting time. I was leaving a bit early because I wanted to pick up my ticket before the Carnegie Hall lobby area got too crowded and then have time for coffee at a local cafe.


Got on the elevator. It stopped at the 30th floor and a guy about my age got on. He had one of those yappy small dogs on a leash. Down we went.


We stopped at the 24th floor ... but ... the door didn’t open. Hummmmmm ... that’s kinda strange, thought I. I waited a minute and then pushed the lobby button ... and ... nothing happened. WTF!! I then pushed the button to open the door ... and ... nothing happened. WTF!! We weren't moving!


The other guy said (and I am not making this up) ... “Oh my God, I had a nightmare about this last night.” I have to admit that my heart began to pound. Small dog started to yap, of course. The guy already had a panicked look on his face


We pushed the door button ... the up button ... the down button ... and ... nothing happened. OMG!! WTF!!


We hadn’t pushed the alarm button because we weren’t certain if that would totally shut down the system ... but it was time to do something ... so I called the lobby desk on my cellphone ... and the call didn’t go through ... OMG!! WTF!!


OK ... now it was time to hit the alarm button ... my heart was really pounding ... no joke ... pounding ... OMG!! WTF!! ... then ...


On its own the door opened and we both literally jumped out. Whew!! The door closed but the car remained on the 24th floor.


I pushed the down button, not sure if another car would come to the floor since one was already here. Luckily, one did arrive and we hopped on it. Little dog was still yapping.


When we got to the lobby I reported the situation to the doormen on duty and they got this startled look on their faces and said they would immediately address the issue.


Whew ... it was scary but Billi Pod survived, so he headed out to Carnegie Hall, where he picked up his ticket and had time for a leisurely cup of coffee ... but ... honestly ... the elevator issue was still whirling in his head.

Billi Pod totally enjoyed the AMERICAN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA concert @ Carnegie Hall. His comp. seat was in the rear orchestra section. Nice!


Major quibble==>the second hour was an operatic work by Bizet called Djamileh, an hour in length. Of course it was in a foreign language. Carnegie Hall doesn't have the projected subtitles like most other classical venues ... instead ... the libretto is provided as an addition to the PlayBill program.


The problem was ... the lighting in the Hall during the performance was so dim you couldn’t read the libretto. Now this wouldn’t have been a huge distraction for a shorter work ... but for a full hour it was a major problem for a lot of people. In fact ... after about 30 minutes into the piece people began to get up and leave, something you very rarely ever see at Carnegie Hall.


Billi Pod stayed until the end because the music was beautiful and that is what he focused on.


When I got back to PHC the questionable elevator was back in service (the building has three) but I opted not to use it.


Today is yet another entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod ...

2:00==>LOOK BACK IN ANGER - “A shocking and vibrant drama about four people struggling to live together and love each other in 1950s England.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This show has gotten very mixed reviews from the critics and from my theater-buddies. I had put off seeing it but when it showed up on one of my services I decided to give it a try. As I mentioned above ... the nasty weather may make getting there an issue.


After the show will come back to PHC to have my usual fruit and cheese plate and then will head down to The Village for the second part of the doubleheader ...


8:00==>THE THING ABOUT DAN - “A warped and wistful play about two men, Paul and Zip, who are running as fast as they can away from themselves. They are waiting for Dan, the friend who keeps their lives running smoothly. The problem is, he's sleeping with their wives.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This theater is on West Christopher Street only 2 blocks from the Hudson River so I know in advance that it is going to be very windy and cold getting to and from the venue. Frankly, had I known about the bad weather I probably wouldn’t have booked this show ... but ... since I did through one of my ticket services ... I gotta go.


Oh, do you get the feeling that Billi Pod is through with Winter and is now ready from Spring to arrive? Well ... you are right ...


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-172


No comments: