Sunday, February 5, 2012

Saturday's Tripleheader and Much Much More Stuff

Good morning everyone.


I am so happy to report that yesterday’s tripleheader was as mega-entertaining as I had hoped it would be.


Yes ... I will even begin this posting with the often overused description==>AWESOME!! And, Billi Pod hopes that after you read this entire posting you will agree with the use of that term ... so ... let's get right with it ... like ...


The first event was THE LITTLE ORCHESTRA SOCIETY concert @ Avery Fisher Hall in the Upper West Side==>A.


It featured a journey through dance related events from around the globe and performances by a very talented group of young dancers from The Young Dance Company.


It was excellent at only a bit over one hour in duration. Yes, there were lots of small kids in the audience but no problem, at least from where I was seated, which was in the second tier.


It was about 12:15pm when I left Avery Fisher Hall. My next entertainment event wasn’t until 3:00, down in The West Village so I went up to the Apple Store at Broadway and 65th Street and just wandered around looking and touching things I wanted to buy (but didn’t).


Then I took the 1 train down to The West Village and went to one of my favorite coffee shops and had coffee and one of their devilishly sweet brownies. The weather was OK. Cold but not windy so when I finished my sweet-sinning experience I spent about 90 minutes just wandering around The Village. It felt sooooooooooooo good.


My second show was at 3:00 ...


PSYCHO THERAPY, about couples therapy that goes awry==>B+.


I thought it was extremely well acted and very funny most of the time but it has a totally unbelievable story line that tries to touch too many bases/issues.


The show has a 90 minute running time so I had time to return to PHC for my usual fruit and cheese snack plate ... then it was time to head back out to the Upper West Side for my third and final entertainment event of the day/night ...


BOB: Blessed Be the Dysfunction That Binds, a one-person drama about a dysfunctional Italian family dealing with their special needs son/brother==>A-.


I found most of this to be very disturbing and very in-your-face. The son’s emotional and mental “problems” often lead to extreme violence directed at everyone around him.


The playwright/performer was excellent playing multiple roles. The play has been extended for 7 more performances so I can say that it is worth seeing if you are in the mood for an emotional roller coaster ride.


It was just a few minutes before 10:00pm when I got back to PHC. Yes, I will admit to being a bit physically and emotionally tired but I quickly got over it after having some pizza and my favorite libation==>Fresca.


So my loyal and faithful readers, I hope you will agree with my use of the word AWESOME to describe yesterday’s tripleheader but then ...


I report - you decide!!

This is what I have on my entertainment agenda for today ...

3:30==>LOVESICK OR THINGS THAT DON’T HAPPEN - “An uproarious collection of modern love songs and stories on the most dreaded day of the year: Valentine's Day. Examples: Amy gets dumped by Chuck right before prom; Susie and Stacy are bridesmaids and think the groom is gay; Brad and Doug have a bro-mantic moment in the elevator; and, Brian and Jessica wake up after a night only one of them remembers.” (Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket)


This is playing at the 59E59 Theatre Complex, one of my favorite venues, as you know.


Then ... will come back to PHC for ...


6:30==>GIANTS vs. PATRIOTS IN SUPER BOWL XLVI on NBC.


None of my AA buddies opted to host this year, so I will watch the game from the cozy confines of PHC. At half-time will grill a steak on my George Forman grill to go with a baked potato and some grilled onions ...


Ain’t gonna watch any of the half-time show ... the tube will be on mute the whole time.


Billi Pod’s prediction==>Giants 27, Patriots 20. GO BIG BLUE!!


Now, on to some other stuff that I want to share with you loyal and faithful readers out there in the boondocks and hinterlands ...


What, you are no doubt breathlessly asking ...


Well ... folks ... as most of you know Billi Pod has a limited list of news sources that he trusts and relies on, and they are (in no particular order) ...


The New York Times;

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart;

The Colbert Report with Stephen Colbert;

The O’Reilly Factor with Bill O’Reilly; and

The Onion

In the recent issue of The Onion there was a brief news article that I feel compelled to share with you because it, frankly, confirms something that has been swirling around Billi Pod’s mind for a number of years. Here it is in its entirely ...


Study Reveals Majority of Male Suicides Occur While Trying to Put Fitted Sheet On Bed -


“BALTIMORE - According to a study published Monday in Psychological Bulletin, more than 83% of male suicides take place when a male, regardless of age, is faced with the task of putting a fitted sheet onto a mattress. ‘In the majority of these cases, males will end their lives after trying in vain to get the short side of the sheet onto the long side of the bed, and at least one-third kill themselves after struggling with the final corner only to realize it is their own weight preventing the sheet from stretching far enough,’ said Johns Hopkins University psychologist Dr. Khalil Mazarhi, adding that the suicide victims are usually discovered in close proximity to fitted sheets that are either partially covering a mattress or balled up in a corner of the room. ‘The tragic irony of this phenomenon is that a significant number of males will actually use the sheet to hang themselves.’ The study concludes with a recommendation that, for personal safety, fitted sheets only be handled when a second person is present.” THE ONION - February 2, 2012 - VOL. 48 ISSUE 05.


Frankly, this is indeed troubling because it has been ignored by the mainstream media. Billi Pod believes Congress should address this issue and consider enacting legislation that would make it a federal crime for any male to attempt to put a fitted sheet onto a mattress.


Interested in your feedback on this issue.


OK ... now let me close by giving a HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout-out to SANDY MULLON of Anna Maria, FL (yes, I know she now lives inland ... but she will always be an Island Girl to Billi Pod).


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS AND GO BIG BLUE!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-166

No comments: