Sunday, February 12, 2012

Billi Pod’s Saturday Doubleheader Was Only So-So==>Dammit!!

Man, it is really bright and cold this morning in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World==>22º @ 7:30am. The high is forecast to be only 33º but at least it isn’t snowy and slushy and that is good.


RIP WHITNEY HOUSTON!! Another multitalented person whose career ended in shambles due to drug and alcohol abuse. At age 48, she left us much too soon. RIP.


Moving on ...


In the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod has to inform you loyal and faithful readers out there in the hinterlands that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was only so-so and that is probably giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I have only myself to blame because I was forewarned about LOOK BACK IN ANGER, the drama about four people struggling to live together and love each other in 1950s England==>I F**KING HATED IT!!


Totally unlikeable characters screaming, yelling and cursing at each other got tiresome quickly. About 10 minutes into Act I Billi Pod knew that he had made an egregious mistake, that he should have listened to his theater-buddies and taken their advice to stay away from this dung-heap masquerading as classic theater drama.


OMFG!! The clock slowed down to a crawl and Billi Pod felt as if he had been consigned to purgatory. When intermission finally arrived he and dozens of others headed out of the theater.


Came back to PHC, had my usual fruit and cheese snack and basically just killed time until it was time to head down to The Village for the second part of the doubleheader. I dressed as warmly as I could, with my heaviest hooded jacket, thermal underwear, fleece-lined pants, heavy sweater and gloves.


When I got down to The Village and started the rather long walk West on Christopher Street to the theater I am happy to report that the wind wasn’t a big factor and that was good. It was tolerable.

THE THING ABOUT DAN, about two friends who are waiting for Dan, the friend who keeps their lives running smoothly - the problem is, Dan is sleeping with their wives==>B.


Wanted to like it more. The acting was OK but the story line totally not believable. Major downer==>at a critical point in the play the actors are in the dark and they are whispering their lines, which were basically indecipherable and I was in the second row. A lady sitting behind me was audibly (no pun) upset. Oh, and Dan never appears.


The small theater was sold out. The running time was only one hour. As I was leaving the theater I heard a lot of mixed feelings about the show and some bitching about the whispering scene.


The wind had picked up and it was brutally cold during the rather long walk back to the subway station. There was no uptown 1 train service at the Christopher Street station due to “weekend repairs” so I had to walk further East to the A,C,E train station. Not fun.


When I finally got back to the warm and cozy confines of PHC I had to tell my inner self to calm down ... that sometimes even Billi Pod will make mistakes in his entertainment scheduling ... unfortunately inner self was not easily placated and even this morning is making snide inner comments about what Billi Pod has scheduled for today’s doubleheader.


OK, inner self ... why don’t you just calm down so we can share the information with my loyal and faithful readers ...

3:00==>THE NAVIGATOR - “What if your GPS started telling you the answers to everything? Especially during a time when you don’t seem to have the answers to anything?” (Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket)


I think this sounds very interesting. It has just received a rave review from the TheaterMania on-line critic.


The running time is only 75 minutes so I will come back to PHC for my usual fruit and cheese snack even though my second show is in the same theatre complex, located on West 36th Street. The second show is ...


8:00==>THE THREEPENNY OPERA - “In this 1920s classic, by Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht, Mack the Knife asks the question: What's a greater crime - robbing a bank or founding one? Mack the Knife is joined by whores, beggars, thieves, cutthroat capitalists and capitalist cutthroats.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


I really like this opera/operetta and am looking forward to this production. Little, if any, advanced buzz.


So ... there you have it my loyal and faithful readers. Why don’t we just cross our collected fingers and wish Billi Pod a better doubleheader than yesterday? Thanks!


Let me close this posting with a recent photo of new Mom, Gina, and my darling great-granddaughter Saylor. Love to you both.


GO GINA AND GO SAYLOR!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-172


No comments: