Monday, February 27, 2012

OSCARS 2012==>big whoop!!

OK ... let’s get right to it ... and by it I mean last night’s Oscar 2012 ... which I can sum up with this statement ...


THE ARTIST, a slight black-and-white French movie that almost no one saw but beloved by cinema snobs won Best Picture==>big whoop!!


It was another circle-jerk by the Oscar voters in their vain attempt to separate their “art” from the perceived backwater tastes of their ticket-buying audiences.


And, how come it took longer to award the Best [whatever] Shorts than it did to award the Best Picture? Boring!!


Thought Billy Crystal did an adequate job, much better than the disaster last year.


I got back to PHC last night around 9:00 so I was able to watch most of the program and I have to say that a majority of that time the mute button was on and I was doing crossword puzzles.


Yeah, without a doubt my doubleheader was way more entertaining than this piece of donkey-dung ...


So ... why don’t we get right to Billi Pod’s report cards ... starting with ...


PITTSBURGH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall==>A+.


The performance earns this high grade despite starting the program with the NY premiere of an atonal piece of dreck by someone named Steven Stucky.


This transgression was quickly corrected by violinist Hilary Hahn’s epic performance of Prokofiev’s Violin Concerto No. 1. It was sublimely beautiful and that is putting it mildly.


The orchestra’s rendition of Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 5 put the finishing touches on a wonderful afternoon’s entertainment.


When the concert was over it was way too cold for Billi Pod to walk all the way over to the Eastside for his evening’s entertainment event, so he took multiple subways instead. Had plenty of time for coffee and something sweet.


Then it was the second part of the doubleheader ...


NOW OR NEVER, exploring the musical career of writer/performer Peter Land==>A.


The show was extremely well written and performed and I learned a lot about Land’s star-studded career here in the US and in London. This was the final performance of his 3 weekend run.


Yes, Billi Pod’s Sunday entertainment doubleheader was indeed stellar, in my humble opinion.


This posting is a bit later than usual because I opted to get my errands and stuff done before sitting down in front of this ‘puter.


I am also getting into the mental countdown for my Thursday trip down to PFC aka Polk F**king County for my 60th High School Class Reunion. Will post more info tomorrow.

Tonight’s entertainment event is yet another classical music concert ...


8:00==>NATIONAL FESTIVAL CHORUS @ Carnegie Hall - “Works by Handel, Whitacre, Puccini, Prokovfiev, Dvorak and others.” (complimentary ticket)


This choral group usually does outstanding work, so I am looking forward to this evening.


So ... let me close with the following for your further thought and consideration ...











Think about it.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-188

No comments: