Friday, January 28, 2011

A Late Friday Report

Good evening my loyal and faithful readers. I know that I am late in making the usual posting, in fact, it is almost 10:00pm in The Big Apple, The Greatest City in The World. Yes, this will be a briefer report of what all happened today in Billi Pod’s world, so ... wait ...


Dammit, stop it ... I can feel the tepid applause ... I know who you are ... I know where you are ... don’t make me come down there and ... you know ... come down there and ... well, you know ... so ...


I am happy to report that it did not snow during the day, but it began to lightly snow just a few minutes ago.


As I had posted earlier, the main event for today was to be my 9:30am participation in the “Select-a-Seat Open House” at Yankee Stadium. I expected to have the option of moving my present seat, section 212, row 5, seat 17, (halfway between lst base and the right field wall) to a seat in the same section but further back, under the overhang, or perhaps even in another, more expensive section, keeping the same 41-game plan, of course.


Well, first of all, yesterday I got an email telling me that due to snow-related issues my appointment time had been moved forward to 3:00pm and that I needed to arrive at the stadium no later than 2:45pm.


That was really no problem, in fact, it fit better into my plans for Friday anyway. I got out to the stadium at 2:45, as directed, signed in, was given paperwork and taken to the meeting area where the details of the event were explained to the approximately 50 people in attendance for my time-slot. I won’t bore you with the details except to say that the crucial one was that you had to make a decision not later than 3:30. That would be when the next group would arrive.


We were told that the available seats would be marked in each section of the stadium, including their availability for which season ticket package.


I immediately went to my section. The snow was still very much a factor in that aisles were available, but sometimes rows were not. I should have taken pictures, but I didn’t.


OMFG!! There were NO seats available for my plan at all in my section, nothing, regardless of location. And, nothing was available in the more expensive sections adjacent to my present section but a little closer to home plate.


Bottom-line==>Billi Pod had traveled to the frigid Bronx for naught. Actually, it didn’t piss me off as much as I thought it would because I can live with where I am and I very much like the people I am sitting with, so ... to Hell with it ... Billi Pod is now ready for Opening Day on March 31st. CASE CLOSED!!


For my entertainment event for this evening I had thought I would see THE KINGS SPEECH, which has been nominated for 12 Oscars, including Best Picture. At the last minute, however, I changed my mind and instead saw ....


THE DILEMMA, starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James - “a ‘comedy-drama’ about a man who finds out that what you don't say to a friend is just as important as what you do.”


You know, the show started off on a comedic note but it then got more and more serious as it developed and it wasn’t nearly as funny as I had expected it to be.


As one of the critics said ... “the movie passes from broad comedy to earnest self-revelation to odd hints of perversity and then back to comedy again. Still, it’s something to see.” And Billi Pod pretty much agrees.


Last night’s NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC concert, featuring works by Beethoven, Sibelius, and Nielsen (who?), was==>super-excellent, as usual.


OK, folks, it is 10:30pm and Billi Pod is hungry, so he will close with the usual ...


Musings from THE MIND OF BILLI POD (a memoir in progress):


“When all is said and done, isn’t it all over?”


GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

1 comment:

rap said...

I do enjoy your postings. They are fantastic and fun to read. And, so are your musings. R