Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Walking Info And Other Stuff Too


Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, it was a great night out at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, for game 1 of the YANKEES/BLUE JAYS 3-game series.

It was hot and very humid but the game was virtually sold-out. It was a pitcher’s duel from the beginning with our starter Phil Hughes going 7 innings, giving up only 2 runs on 4 hits. He left the game with the score tied 2-2.

In the bottom of the 8th inning, with the score still tied, journeyman outfielder Raul Ibanez hits a two-out grand slam and the stadium goes f-ing wild. Oh Hell Yes!!

In the top of the 9th the Blue Jays start a rally but our closer Rafael Soriano comes in for his 23rd save and The Bronx Bombers win 6-3. Oh Hell Yes!!

Yep, this game is basically the showcase for what the season has been for The Yankees==>decent pitching and the long ball.

Tonight our ace CC Sabathia (9-3) makes his first start since June 24th. He was on the DL due to a left groin strain. Starting for The Jays is Brett Cecil (2-1).

It is early afternoon as I am writing this posting and thus far nothing of any real interest has shown up on any of my ticket services for tonight ... so ... unless something dramatically appears my entertainment plans for today will be to catch a late afternoon movie, probably THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and then stay in the cool confines of PHC to watch CC and The Yankees take on The Blue Jays.

I want to take a moment to respond to several emails that I have received regarding the walking mileage that I compile from the Weight Watchers Pedometer.

First of all, The Weight Watchers Pedometer is a state-of-the-art device that it crucial to the Weight Watchers diet program because it makes all sorts of calculations that are necessary for their program. It is also sensitive to the individual since it calculates steps based on your age, height and weight, which you program into the device.

No, I am not part of the program and I don’t need to lose any weight because I am at a respectable 162 lbs.

The Pedometer was a gift from My Lady, Dian Crystal, who is in the program and has lost a whole lot of weight.

 Secondly, we New Yorkers do a lot of walking in our day-to-day routines and even though most everything is only “a couple of blocks” away, sometimes those blocks can be long and it all adds up at day’s end.

Even though I/we use mass transit, there is always getting to and from the respective subway stations. For example, even though 420 W. 42nd Street is only a block and a half away from the transportation hub, The Port Authority Bus Terminal, once you get there you still have a lot of walking to do to reach your subway platform.

For example, the platform for the N/R line, which Billi Pod uses to reach the upper and lower Eastside, is .61 miles from PHC.

Over the years I have maintained a walking program of taking the subway to my entertainment event and then walking back to my apartment after it is over, weather permitting.

These are some of the mileages ...

Going to a show at the E 59th Street Theater and walking back==>2.71 miles

Going to Lincoln Center and walking back==>2.20 miles

Going to a Yankee game, roundtrip==>1.78 miles

For my own information I also keep track of the “mileage” spent walking in my apartment.

On my “walking and wandering” sessions I usually try to walk at least 2 miles.

And, an example from yesterday - had a Dr.’s appointment downtown at Beth Israel Medical Center at Union Square (14th Street) and then walked back==>3.50 miles

So, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, as you can see, the mileage will indeed add up, which is a good thing, especially for a 78yo. guy who loves to walk and wander in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.57 miles

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: