Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 4th, 2012==>AWESOME!!


Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, Billi Pod is happy to report to you that Wednesday was an AWESOME day ... so let’s get right to it ... with ...


The NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC & WEST POINT BAND concert yesterday afternoon in Avery Fisher Hall @ Lincoln Center was one of the VERY BEST, ever!!

To begin with, my seat was on the aisle in the second row in the Prime Orchestra section. Wow!!

The concert lasted about 2 1/2 hours but no matter because it was riveting and well-performed from the very beginning. The Philharmonic was conducted by Bramwell Tovey, an Englishman, who had a running commentary between numbers which was very funny. He has conducted this series, called “Summertime Classics,” since 2004.

The Philharmonic performed for the first part of the program, doing works by Bernstein and Gershwin. After the intermission the West Point Drum and Bugle Unit, called The Hellcats, and the West Point Jazz Band, called The Jazz Knights, came on. Both groups performed alone and then both groups performed together with the Philharmonic to end the concert. The final number was Sousa’s “The Stars and Stripes Forever.”

Frankly, it was a very emotional experience for me to see all of those young men on stage in Army uniforms, even though my grandson Alex Falletta aka Army Guy is now safely back home in Columbia, SC, and his unit deactivated.

For me the most emotionally compelling performance was the “Armed Forces Service Medley,” during which members of the audience who had served in the military are invited to stand when they hear the themes of their respective branches of service. At the appropriate time I stood up for me and for Alex. 

Yeah==>two Army Guys!!

When the concert was over the weather was excellent, although a bit hot and humid, so I walked back to the apartment while listening to the final innings of the YANKEES/RAYS game on my trusty but now ancient Walkman.

The Yankees finally won a game at that disgrace known as Tropicana Field, having lost 9 consecutive games there. The final score was 4-3 and we won on the long ball from Mark Teixeira and a crucial single from Robbie Cano. It was about f-ing time.

The Bronx Bombers have today off and then they head up to Boston for a 4-game series against the loathsome Boston FuckSox, including a day/night doubleheader on Saturday to make up an earlier rain out. All of this is at that fetid cesspool known as Fenway Park.

The Bronx Bombers have a 7 1/2 game lead over the FuckSox who are tied for last place in the AL East.

When I got back to PHC I turned on the AC, had the usual fruit and cheese plate and then it was time to join my thousands of close friends at the Hudson River for the MACY'S FIREWORKS SHOW. I had no problem finding a good viewing-point, which was about where I was last year.

Two observations: (1) the crowd seemed somewhat smaller than I remember from previous years; and (2) the police and traffic officers were a lot more friendly than previous years. What do I mean by this? Well, in prior years I have posted that they seemed to be pretty much pissed-off at having to be there and on duty but this year all of the uniformed officers, at least in my area, were really friendly and without attitude.

The fireworks were awesome as usual and lasted about 15 minutes. I took lots of pictures, 3 of which I posted to this blog immediately after I got back to PHC.

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... as much as Tuesday had been a majorly blah day for Billi Pod ... Wednesday more than made up for it. When I got back to the apartment and later began working on the draft for this posting I once again reflected on how blessed I have been, especially in all of these 17+ years of retirement and how much I love living in New York City, The Greatest City In The World.

This leads me into today’s entertainment event which is going to be something very very different, at least for Billi Pod. What is it you are no doubt breathlessly asking?

Well my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... tonight I am going on a night cruise around the island of Manhattan. It is called the Thursday Night Party Cruise and it departs from a pier at East 23rd Street and FDR Drive. The 300+ passenger cruise ship will depart around 10:00pm and will return at 12:30am.

I will be going with my theater-buddy Marty Kosarik, who is also a member of Dian Crystal’s posse. Marty talked me into this event about a month ago. Why are we doing this? Truthfully, I really don’t know.

Yes, without a doubt it is going to be a different evening for Billi Pod and I am absolutely confident that it will be one of those “love-it or hate-it” experiences ... so stay tuned.

Hummmmmm ... the thought just hit me ... maybe I should post this and then try to catch an early afternoon show time for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, which I understand broke all kinds of records for shows opening on a Tuesday.

Nope ... can’t do that. Got some out-of-town friends stopping by PHC late afternoon ... oh well ...   

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.70 miles

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”




No comments: