Friday, July 27, 2012

SPRING AT THE WILLOWBROOK INN==>A


TGIF to all of my Worker Bee friends and my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the hinterlands, wastelands and boondocks. Hope everyone has an AWESOME weekend.

As anticipated, I had a terrific time last night with my dear friends Michael Rodriguez and Scott Wojcik at the opening night performance of SPRING AT THE WILLOWBROOK INN, which Scott is directing.

It started around 5:45pm when I showed up at Michael’s office, located on 38th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. We headed downtown to the Lower Eastside via a cramped, jammed and humid F train. It was, of course, rush hour. Our destination was the Wild Project Theatre located on 3rd Street between Avenues A & B.

We had to get off our train one stop early because, for reason’s unknown, the local train was to begin running express. Not a real problem since we had plenty of time before the 8:00 curtain but it was very hot and humid ... and ... the sky began to ominously cloud up.

All the time we were walking Michael and I were doing some major catching up. It was about 7:00 when we got to the theater and ... tada ... out in front was Scott, one of the co-authors (dammit, whose name escapes me at the moment) and the two cast members Jason Patrick Sands and Tom White. Nice.

We chatted briefly then Michael (whose picture is below) and I found a nearby bistro and had a bite. We did some more catching up. It was really getting ugly looking out, with thunder and lightning.

We went back to the theater and settled in. It was almost show time. I want to share with you loyal and faithful readers something that Scott, who was making his NYC directing debut, had written in the program notes ...

“... I could never have done this without the never ending support of my amazing partner, Michael, who from the first moment I saw him I knew that love for a lifetime is a reality ....” 

These guys have been together for over 12 years. WOW!!

Now ... Billi Pod’s report card on ... 

SPRING AT THE WILLOWBROOK INN, that follows the lives of two men from their first meeting in 1967 at a motivational conference through present day==>A.

Cooper, played by Jason Patrick Sands, is openly gay while Joshua aka Shua, played by Tom White, is a closeted gay who ultimately marries and has children. Their “relationship” covers 44 years, often told from the stage by the reading of exchanged letters.

The play has a thought-provoking, believable and touching story line delivered by stellar performances from the 2-man cast. I was totally involved for the entire 90 minutes.

So ... Billi Pod says==>see this show if you can.

The remaining performances are:

Friday 7/27 @ 6:00pm
Saturday 7/28 @ 2:00pm
Sunday 7/29 @ 2:00pm

Tickets are available: FreshFruitFestival.com, Theatermania.com, or 866-811-4111

Luckily, we were inside the theater when most of the rain and high wind was going on. It was only lightly raining as I made my way back to Midtown West after the show.

So ... Michael and Scott==>Thank you for a totally enjoyable evening!!

Today’s entertainment event for Billi Pod is ...

5:00==>ZAPATA! THE MUSICAL - “Emiliano Zapata, hero of the Mexican revolution,  reappears in the 21st century to show a idealistic but confused member of ‘Occupy Wall Street’ the proper way to fight for a better world.” (Off Broadway - discounted ticket)

The show is part of the New York Musical Theater Festival and is being produced by my friend Julie Miller. Julie is a “sometimes” member of Dian Crystal’s posse.

When the show is over, it is playing in my immediate ‘hood, I will come back to the cool confines of PHC and settle in to watch game 1 of the 3-game YANKEES/BOSTON F**KSOX series from Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built.

Ichiro Suzuki will be making his Yankee Stadium debut and I am sure he will get a roaring welcoming cheer. Phil Hughes (9-8) will be on the mound for The Bronx Bombers vs. Aaron Cook (2-3) for the F**kSox.

Well, I've got a few things to do before my 5:00pm show, so will post this now ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.68 miles

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”



No comments: