Sunday, July 15, 2012

Billi Pod Walked From Yankee Stadium Back To His Apartment


I DID IT!!

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the morass known as cyberspace, yesterday Billi Pod scratched another “item” from his Bucket List. What am I talking about those of you not on FaceBook are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well ... here’s what I mean.

Yesterday’s entertainment event was game 2 of the YANKEES/ANGELS series at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, located, as almost everyone knows, in The Bronx.

As I had previously posted, Billi Pod has been wanting to walk back from the stadium following an afternoon game for some time but for a number of reasons it had never happened. He still harbored that idea when he arrived at the stadium for the game.

It was an overcast afternoon with temperatures in the mid-80s but with kinda high humidity. He decided he wouldn’t make a final decision until the game was over.

And what a game it was. We got a decent outing from Freddie Garcia, who left the game after 5 innings with a 4-3 lead. The bull pen then produced 4 innings of shutout ball and the Yankees won 5-3.

Once again our runs came on the long ball with homers from Robbie Cano and Curtis Granderson. It was a very exciting game.

When the game was over I decided that I would give the walk a try. It was 4:11pm when I left the stadium. It was still a bit overcast. I was dressed in black shorts and a Yankee T-shirt. I didn’t have the usual backpack.

I had previously planned and scouted-out the route so I knew what to do. I walked across the East River on the Macombs Bridge to Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd (7th Avenue) and then South to 110th Street, where ACP Blvd ends at Central Park.

At Central Park I continued South down Central Park West (8th Avenue) to 62nd Street, Lincoln Center, where I crossed over to 9th Avenue for the final leg back to PHC at 420 W. 42nd Street, between 9th and 10th Avenues.

It was taking a bit longer than I had anticipated because I stopped 3 times for water, a banana, and brief rests. Also, from the stadium to 100th Street it is basically an uphill walk but from 100th to 42nd Street it is downhill.

Luckily I was in the shade probably 90% of the way but the humidity was high so I was heavily sweating. Yes ... about halfway the thought did cross my mind that this was basically a stupid ego trip for a 78yo guy. One of the things that I had done in my planning was to choose a route that had easy access to bus and subway lines in the event I developed any problems. Also, I had an updated contact information/meds card in my front pocket, just in case.

When I got to Lincoln Center I was one mile away and I got a tremendous adrenaline rush, no joke, I did, and my pace picked up.

About a block away from PHC I ran into my theater-buddy Phil Parnes, who was headed to the theater, and we had a brief chat. He was impressed with what I had done but when I told him that I had no entertainment plans for the evening he told me that my loyal and faithful readers would not approve of Billi Pod staying in on a Saturday night in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In the World. Oh well ... 

When I got into the lobby at 420 W. 42nd Street it was 7:23pm, It had taken 3 hours and 12 minutes and my Pedometer registered 7.17 miles from the stadium. I HAD DONE IT. F**KING AWESOME!!

Yes, I was tired and drenching in sweat. Drank a lot of water and showered. Was starving so I ate a huge fruit and cheese plate and then settled in front of the tube to watch more baseball, the Rays/F**kSox game, won by the Rays.

As I said, I can now scratch this item from my Bucket List. Some of you may remember that Billi Pod has walked the entire length of Manhattan, from the northern tip down to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, via Broadway.

I am happy to report to you loyal and faithful readers and followers that I feel great this morning, no stiffness, soreness or anything.

This afternoon I will stay in the cool confines of PHC to watch the final game of the YANKEES/ANGELS series @ 1:05pm. Ivan Nova (10-3) will be on the mound for the Bronx Bombers vs. Jered Weaver (10-1) the Angels ace. It should be a interesting and close game.

My entertainment event for the evening is ...

9:00==>TROUBLE: A NEW ROCK MUSICAL - “Eight friends. 24 Hours. So much TROUBLE! Star-crossed lovers, Nick and Jen, find their love threatened by something unexpected. Perfect girl Hannah is hiding a secret from her boyfriend, James, who wants to rekindle things with his ex, Sarah. She, on the other hand, is just trying to move on. Meanwhile, never-been-kissed Joe is striking up drama with the hottest guy in school. After tonight, nothing will ever be the same.” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket).

This show is part of the New York Musical Theater Festival and is playing at a theater in my immediate ‘hood.

Well ... I hope that everyone is having an awesome weekend because Billi Pod certainly is. Rock On!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>9.45  miles<==AWESOME!!

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”




No comments: