Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Tuesday Doubleheader for Billi Pod

Good morning everyone out there in the morass known as cyberspace.


Last night’s NEW ENGLAND SYMPHONIC ENSEMBLE, with The Elysium String Quartet, @ Carnegie Hall was a wonderful classical music experience.


My comp. seat was awesome. I was in the first tier, box 1, row 1, seat 1, so close to the action that I could actually read the music on the stands below me. The face value to the ticket was $110.00. Wow!!


The first half of the program was Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 1 and Elgar’s Introduction and Allegro for Strings, both extremely well performed.


For the second half, the stage was filled with an ensemble chorus of at least 320+ members from 8 choruses from New York, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, and Wisconsin. They performed John Rutter’s (the conductor) “Magnificat,” which was beautiful.


I left the concert with a happy smile on my face.


Today is yet another entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod ... first ...

2:00==>STRANGER - “Features music and lyrics by three-time Grammy winner Bruce Hornsby. A family in turmoil reaches a tipping point when their small town is shaken by the presence of a stranger cruising the streets in an old car.” (Off Broadway - free ticket).


This is a staged reading by The York Theatre Company that is taking place at the new Signature Theater space just down the street from my apartment building.


I am attending this event as a part of Dian Crystal’s posse. Thank You, My Lady.


Then, for the evening is some more classical music ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - “The program is: Beethoven’s Symphonies 1 & 3; and, Hartmann’s (who??) Concerto for Solo Violin & String Orchestra.” (subscription series)


This is the final program in The Modern Beethoven Series.


And ... speaking of The New York Philharmonic==>yesterday I renewed my 2012-13 season subscription for the same 3 series, Tuesday and Wednesday, for a total of 17 concerts, in the same seat location as previous years. As a “reward” for early renewing, I will receive a voucher for 3 free concerts of my choosing in the same seating location.


I also purchased 3 additional concerts: The Holiday Brass (a holiday season starter for Billi Pod); The New Years Eve Gala with Marvin Hamlisch; and, Rogers and Hammerstein’s Carousel (one of my most favorite musicals).


I will close this posting with the sixth of the seven “Musings from “THE MIND OF BILLI POD (a memoir in progress)” that were accepted by Philosoraptor, The Pontificating Velociraptor of Our Time ...










Well, why did you think they called him “Tiny Tim?”


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-210

No comments: