Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Report Card on JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR and Other Stuff Too.

Man, it was freezing cold this morning in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World==>26º @ 8:00am. Burrrrrrrrrr!!


Have just gotten back from braving the cold elements on a trek to the far Eastside to my cardiologist’s office to have my fasting blood work done in preparation for my annual physical on Thursday morning. My appointment was for 10:00am. It was cold and windy and basically unpleasant.


As I have mentioned before, Dr. Feuerbach’s office is on 61st Street, between 1st and York Avenues, almost as far East as you can go, meaning ... Billi Pod walked a total of 2 miles, roundtrip, just going to and from the various subway stations. Not complaining ... just reporting.


I was under strict orders to not eat anything for 12 hours before the blood was to be taken, drinking water was OK, though. So ... the last thing I ate was my usual fruit and cheese plate at around 4:30pm yesterday, and ... to put it mildly ... I was starving.


Got back to PHC at 11:15am and immediately fixed breakfast: english muffin, with peanut butter and jelly, strawberries, fresh pineapple, 1/4 of a Granny Smith apple, and, of course, tons of red seedless grapes. Ah yes ... all is now well in Billi Pod’s Universe.


That being said ... it is still cold out==>39º @ 1:00pm. The forecast is for warmer weather for the rest of the week, into the weekend, with highs in the low 70s. Nice.


OK, my loyal and faithful readers ... why don’t we move on to Billi Pod’s entertainment event for last night ... which was ... tada ...

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, the Broadway revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s dramatized rock-opera version of the last 7 days in the life of Jesus of Nazareth==>A.


Yes, I am totally aware of the extraordinarily negative buzz about this show, in early previews, generated on several of the chatboards ... but ... I found the evening to be very enjoyable and entertaining.


I saw the orginal Broadway production and also the revival back in, I think, 2000, and this production feels both energetic and timely. It is extremely well performed although I thought Chilina Kennedy’s Mary Magdalene was the weakest link by far.

Folks ... I just don’t understand why the so-called NYC “theater-elite” hate Andrew Lloyd Webber so much. They have hated everything he has ever had produced on Broadway, and, I guess, they always will ... why I don’t know ...


I really hate all of the negativity ... I really do ...


Remember folks, this is a rock-opera written when Sir Andrew was only 21 years old, it ain’t and never will be a “Broadway-classic” but ... and a big butt ...... it was never intended to be ... it is what it is ...


So ... if you like rock music, an energetic cast of basically young performers and provocative staging ... then see this show ... if not ... then stay the Hell away, so sayeth Billi Pod.


Billi Pod’s entertainment event for this evening is ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - “The Modern Beethoven Festival: Beethoven - Symphony No. 2; Stravinsky - Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra; and, Beethoven - Symphony No. 7.” (subscription series)


As part of the Modern Beethoven Festival The Philharmonic will also perform Symphonies 1, 3, 4 & 8 later in the month and then the Dresden Philharmonic will perform Symphony #5. I have tickets to each concert and really look forward to this stellar event.


Yes, as some of you have commented ... Billi Pod seems to be on a classical music binge and I confess to it. Counting tonight ... I have scheduled 4 classical music concerts for the remainder of this week ... yep ... that’s right ... 4, including a doubleheader for this coming Sunday.


Let me close this posting with something for you loyal and faithful readers to consider ...









Think about it -- seriously.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-196


No comments: