Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sloth, Thy Name Is Sometimes Billi Pod!!

Good afternoon to all of you loyal and faithful readers out in the wilderness, hinterlands and boondocks who have been calling tech service to repair your internet devices on the assumption that they are malfunctioning because you could not find a Billi Pod Blogs posting for Wednesday.


I am also aware that some of you made reports to the Missing Person’s Bureau as I had requested in Tuesday’s posting.


Well ... in response to the flood of emails and texts ... some of them rather snarky ... Billi Pod must say ...


Mea Culpa! Mea CULPA!! MEA CULPA!!!


And for your education==>Mea Culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my mistake" or "my fault.”


Yep ... in the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod must admit that he has no viable excuse for this failure/omission to timely post ... none ... nada ... zilch.


Had a virtually finished draft but just didn’t get around to putting the finishing touches on it and posting.


Bottomline==>sloth, thy name is sometimes Billi Pod.


I did however post on my FaceBook Wall.


Anyway ... please forgive me ...


Now, moving on to an update and then a current report ...

First, I am happy to report that, obviously, Marty Kosarik and I made a successful venture to and from the outer-borough known as Brooklyn to see the magic show called THE ELEPHANT ROOM, playing at St. Ann’s Warehouse. Billi Pod’s belated report card on the show, involving three magicians==>B<==enjoyable, fun and very Brooklyn.


The show is definitely worth seeing.


The best part of the evening was being able to spend some one-on-one time with Marty, whom I have known for only a few months, in his role as a member of Dian Crystal’s posse. He is really a nice guy and is very good company. I plan to make a separate posting about him soon (with his approval, of course).


Yesterday was scheduled to be a theater doubleheader, the first show a matinee performance of the Broadway musical ONCE and then in the evening BIGGER THAN JESUS, at the NYU Skirball Center, down in The Village.


This is what I had prepared to post about ONCE ...

“2:00==>ONCE - “The story of an Irish musician and a Czech immigrant drawn together by their shared love of music, resulting in a powerful but complicated romance, heightened by the raw emotion of the songs they create together.” (Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)


This show had a very well-received Off Broadway run (unfortunately I didn’t get to see it then) and has just opened on Broadway to very favorable reviews.”


Well ... I found everything about this show to be totally enjoyable. The cast is outstanding and they all play musical instruments, which add to their characters, rather than detract as it often does.


As you enter the theater, the company of actor-musicians is onstage hosting a raucous jam session, during which you can go onstage and buy a drink. I went on stage but, of course, didn’t buy any booze.


The two leads are exceptional. Steve Kazee (Guy) makes a fine leading man, likable and attractive but conveying the character's inner anguish when he sings. Criston Milioti (Girl) is perfect as the straightforward and blunt heroine. Both of them excel as musicians.


Folks ... I highly recommend this show and it has “Tony-nominations” written all over it. So ... Billi Pod’s report card==>A.


When the show was over I came back to PHC to have my usual fruit and cheese plate in preparation for my evening’s event which was to be ... BIGGER THAN JESUS. This is what I was going to post about this show ...

“8:00==>BIGGER THAN JESUS - “A sinfully funny 'universal multi-dimensional celebration of the human spirit' that explores historical and modern viewpoints on Christianity through a multitude of diverse characters, all portrayed by Rick Miller.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


Yeah ... I know ... but the concept sounded interesting and it is playing at NYU’s Skirball Center which usually has pretty good stuff. We will see ...”


Well, I guess it was around 6:00pm when I suddenly noticed the red light blinking on my landline answering machine ... WTF?? I now receive so few landline calls that I sometimes forget to check to see if I have any messages.


The message was from my ticket service informing me that they had made a mistake about the show ... that the performance date was supposed to be April 4th, not March 28th. WTF??


Oh, well ... nothing I could do about it. It was also too late to book an alternate show through any of my other ticket services.


Does this mean that Billi Pod stayed in last night? Come on people ... WTF do you think? Of course not ... get real ... instead he saw ...

7:15==>21 JUMP STREET - “About a pair of underachieving cops who are sent back to a local high school to blend in and bring down a synthetic drug ring, starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.”


I totally, 110%, enjoyed this show. It was just the profane, gross-out, frat-boy humor that Billi Pod loves and was definitely in the mood for. There are several interesting cameo appearances that I will not spoil by identifying.


If this is your type of humor, then you gotta see this show. If it isn’t then just stay far far away.


One of the problems with skipping a posting is that the ensuing postings often go on way too long ... like this one ... sorry ‘bout this ...


Anyway ... tonight’s entertainment event is ...

8:00==>THE UNDERBELLY DIARIES - “Tells the story of a nice Jewish boy from Canada who becomes a bodybuilder, a male stripper, and ultimately a stand-up comic.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This is playing at a theatre on my block and it sounds interesting, doesn’t it?


OK ... you are now up-to-date on Billi Pod’s activities in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, and you are all forgiven ... wait ... oooooops ... sorry ... Mea Culpa ...what I meant was ... thank you for forgiving me. Mea Culpa.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-219

No comments: