Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thursday - Miscellaneous Baseball Thoughts From The Big Apple


Yes, it is Thursday afternoon in The Big Apple and I am sitting on my couch alternating watching ESPN2, on mute, for the latest baseball trade news and working on my trusty little iBook, surfing the net for photos for the blog and writing this post. On the one hand I am so glad that I can do this and on the other hand a little voice in the back of my head says: “enough of the internet/blogging you a-hole egoist, you should be spending this time making the World a better place in which to live.” Yeah, right ...

Oh, the drama taking place in Boston with Manny The Moocher and in Green Bay with Brett “Hey I Ain’t That Old” Favre. The MLB trade deadline is now a little under 2 hours away. What will happen?

Our acquisition of 14-time All-Star catcher Ivan “Pudge” Rodriguez yesterday was awesome and made headlines, of course: The New York Post - “GREAT CATCH” and The Daily News - “WHAT A CATCHER.” I totally agree.

No doubt about it, I have been on baseball overload this month. With tonight’s game against the LA Angels I will have seen 15, yes, that is the correct number, 15 games this month. I have to admit that even for me this is a bit, shall we say, excessive.

I continue to be amazed at the impact that the final season of The House That Ruth Built is having on baseball fans (not necessarily Yankee fans) from all over. I have written about this before but I want to share a couple of other examples --

At Tuesday night’s game against Baltimore - seated to my left were a late 40s Mama, her 10 year old daughter and 60plus Grandmother. They were: from Rhode Island; avid Red Sox fans; had never been in Yankee stadium; had taken the stadium tour; and, had come to NYC solely for the purpose of going to the stadium. All three were avid baseball fans. The little girl was keeping a scorecard, accurately as I could tell.

Then, to my right were 4 40s guys from Toronto. They were in NYC for the sole purpose of seeing a game in The House That Ruth Built. None of them had ever been to NYC. They were Blue Jays fans.

Finally, at last night’s game, seated in the 6 rows in front of me, was a group of senior citizens from a Senior Citizen Home in Pennsylvania. The group leader was seated next to me and we had a nice conversation between innings. She told me that none of the group had ever been to Yankee Stadium before and that they had planned this “outing” over a year ago. It appeared to me that about 1/2 of them were really into the game and the other half - well, they looked like they weren’t really sure where in the hell they were.

It was an afternoon game and the Yankees kicked butt, winning 13-3 and avoided being swept by the Orioles. It was around 5:30 when I got back to the apartment. Had nothing planned for the evening, so ... what did I do? Movie, late theater, comedy club? Nope, I stayed in and watched the Cubs vs. Milwaukee game, which the Cubs won. They have the best record in the NL. I would love to see a Yankees vs. Cubs World Series.

The red hot LA Angels come into town tonight for a 4 game series. They have the best record in MLB and are coming off a sweep of the Fucksox up in Beantown. I have tickets for tonight’s game and the Saturday afternoon game. The Saturday game is at 3:55 after the Old Timer’s Game, which begins at 1:45. Of course I will be there for the Old Timer’s game. The Yankees have received acceptances from 70 former Yankee players, including recent Hall of Fame inductee Goose Gossage. It should be interesting and fun.

OK, it is now almost 4:00 and I have some things to do, so I will post this. I have a lots of stuff I want to write about but I will have to wait till later.

Go Yankees!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: