Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thursday - The Weekend is Complete Now


Before I set out the entertainment details for the rest of the week and weekend I want to share with you yet another picture that depicts my true feelings about the now departed Fucksox. Yeah Man!!

Actually the Yankees are on a bit of a roll now. We have won 4 straight games and the one last night was a 10 inning nail-biter with the Yankees winning 2-1 in the bottom of the 10th. Mariano had another stellar two inning performance to pick up the win. This win made the record for the 9 games I have just seen: 5 wins and 4 losses. We are not out of the AL East race just yet but after the All Star Game it’s gonna take a pretty massive winning streak somewhere along the way if we are gonna make the Playoffs.

This morning I had my semi-annual appointment with my Urologist and he and I are most happy with the results. My PSA was 1.1 and the finger-up-the-butt went OK. I see him again in January 2009. Hey guys!! If you are over 50 you gotta have at least an annual PSA test WITH, REPEAT, WITH, a Digital Rectal Examination (DRE). The fact that you are paying someone to stick something up your ass doesn’t mean you are gay. You gotta do this!!

Now on to entertainment - I had a show this afternoon at 2:00 but I really wasn’t in the mood for it for a number of reasons, so I just picked up the ticket and then came on back to the apartment. This is something I very rarely do, but ...

Anyway, tonight I see The Strangerers (yes, the correct spelling) which I have previously described and I am really looking forward to the show.

Friday night is a show at the York Theater as part of their Musicals in Mufti series and it is called Compose Yourself - “If you enjoyed Goodtime Charley and our Summer Mufti Series, be sure to join us for the series debut of New2NY, New York premieres of musicals in staged concert performances! The series opens with a new revue of the music of Larry Grossman, Compose Yourself!” (discounted TDF ticket).

Saturday - 2:00 - Stain - “This dark family comedy by Tony Glazer centers on the quickly-crumbling life of Thomas, 15 years old, and the relationships he has with his father Arthur, mother Julia, grandmother Theresa, best friend George, and his much-older girlfriend Carmen. When family secrets are revealed, Thomas is confronted with a choice that will either save or mark him forever. This Choice Theatricals world premiere is directed by Scott C. Embler.” (discounted TDF ticket). Yeah, I know, yet another dysfunctional family show.

8:00 - Bacchai - “From the moment Scottish actor Alan Cummings provocative Dionysus is lowered onstage from above, it is clear that in this North American premiere of the National Theatre of Scotlands acclaimed production, playwright David Greigs interpretation takes the mask off one of the last great Athenian tragedies. A unique take on Euripides, this is a Bacchae for the 21st-century. Noted for his Broadway debut as the emcee in the Roundabout's revival of Cabaret, Mr. Cumming, cast in this timeless exploration of sexuality, according to London's The Guardian, proceeds to give us a Dionysus who, while of divine origin, has adopted a flirty, sportive, sexually equivocal human form. Backed by a gospel-singing female cult of Maenads, Cummings narcissistic Dionysus arrives at Thebes to claim godly recognition from a disbelieving, ascetic King Pentheus, opening the door to a sardonic, contemporary look at the battle between hedonism and repression.” (discounted TDF ticket). I have to admit that I have had misgivings about this show since the word of mouth and reviews have been in the Love It or Hate It category. It closes this weekend so I thought, what the Hell, I like Alan Cummings so I will give it shot.

Sunday - 7:00 - Damn Yankees - “The second of New York City Centers Encores! Summer Stars series, Damn Yankees is the story of ultimate baseball fan Joe Boyd (Cheyenne Jackson), who sells his soul to the Devil (Sean Hayes) for the chance to help his team, the Washington Senators, win the pennant race against the Yankees. The Devil is aided by the sexy Lola (Jane Krakowski), who seduces Joe, but ultimately helps him outsmart the Devil and return to his beloved wife. Songs include "Heart" and "Whatever Lola Wants." (discounted TDF ticket). The show was gotten decent reviews and has a very limited run.

Monday - 8:00 - A Night at the Operetta II @ Town Hall - “Experience the epic music that took Broadway by storm, thrilling audiences ever since the operetta! Join current Broadway stars as they breathe new life into the thrilling creations of Sigmund Romberg, Rudolf Friml, Victor Herbert and more! This stirring evening of classic Broadway show music will feature some of the most passionate and romantic music ever written peppered with host Scott Siegel's entertaining commentary.” (discounted TDF ticket).

Tuesday - 8:00 - Bon Jovi @ Madison Square Gardens. (full price ticket). My seat is excellent and I am really looking forward to seeing him again.

So there you are. I hope you will agree with me that it will be a diverse and, hopefully, interesting and fun, next several days.

Oh, in closing. The show I saw last night, 7 Sins, which I described in an earlier posting, was one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long long time. The writer/performer is doing 5 shows in Washington, DC, next week and then goes across The Pond to participate in the Edinburgh Festival.

Have a great weekend.

Go Yankees!!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: