Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday - OK, OK - I’m Sorry Topher

Yesterday when I posted the picture of my oldest grandson, Chief Warrant Officer 2 Lex Falletta, I had no idea that it would stir up an avalanche of emails from family and friends who uniformly chastised me for omitting any references to my youngest grandson, Topher Falletta who now lives in Fleasburg, FL.

OK, I admit it, I should have posted something regarding Topher, so I searched my photo archives and found a picture taken last year, just after his graduation from the University of Florida, that more than any other picture I have portrays Topher’s strongest asset. I needn't say anything else because the picture speaks for itself and I am confident that family members and friends will agree - this is the Topher we know and love - at his best. It is at the end of this post. I hope all is forgiven.

Now, on to other things. I had a great time last night at [title of show], in very early previews. Since most Broadway shows are dark on Monday night the audience for this show was filled with lots and lots of younger theater-type folks who were very very loud in their response to the performance. I loved it and laughed a lot. The house seemed to be almost sold out. My TDF discounted seat was excellent, second row of the mezzanine. When the show was over the 4 person cast received a roaring standing ovation.

Interestingly, on some of the theater-related chat boards the audience response(s) are generating some negative reactions from some of the, in my words, “theatre elitists” who carp that the audience must be filled with shills. Not true you snobby butt-holes, the audience is full of people who enjoy the show for what it is, a light musical comedy, so get the fuck over yourselves already and go back to listening to your vinyl cast recordings of “Naughty Marietta,” or whatever.

Gosh, I feel better - now on to what I have scheduled for the next several days:

Tuesday - 7:05 - Yankees vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Wednesday - 1:05 - Yankees vs. Tampa Bay Rays (maybe a walk back to the apartment after the game, maybe).

7:30 - 7 Sins - "Comedian James Judd's hilarious true stories about trying to win his 5th Grade book report competition with My Search for Patty Hearst, and his careers as a forgotten employee of AT&T, a dot.com journalist (leading to an insane night in a Chinese bordello), and as an under-prepared criminal defense attorney.” (complimentary ticket). Sounds very interesting.

Thursday - 10:00 - semi-annual appointment with my Urologist so he can stick his finger up my butt. Oh, yes, lots of fun.

2:00 - East 14th: True Tales of a Reluctant Player - “What do you do when your mother divorces your father, then remarries a devout follower of "that religion," who takes you door-knocking at 7 o'clock in the morning? You escape and move in with dear old dad, of course. Problem solved. Until you discover your real pop is a real pimp...for real. East 14th: True Tales of a Reluctant Player is the hysterical one-man show chronicling Don Reed's true coming-of-age story in 1970s Oakland. From being forced to deliver the gospel door to door, to living on "Ho Row," Don Reed takes you down a road you'll never forget. At times moving and poignant, but always funny to the core.” (complimentary ticket). A very unusual time for a show, 2:00 on a Thursday, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Then, 7:30 - The Strangerer - “The Strangerer collides several of author Albert Camus' works with the first Bush/Kerry presidential debate in 2004. The formalities of the debate are overturned as Bush and Kerry struggle with the question not of if or why an innocent man should be killed (the man in question being moderator Jim Lehrer), but rather what is the proper manner in which to go about killing him. A fascinating and hilarious hybrid, The Strangerer is part political satire, part classical drama, and a murder mystery with the murderers in plan view.” (complimentary ticket). WOW!! What a way to end a very very interesting but different day, and, yes, that is the correct spelling of the title.

Now I've got things to do, so ...

Go Yankees!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com
TOPHER FALLETTA AT HIS BEST --

No comments: