Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday - The FuckSox Come to Town; Fourth of July Plans



Well, after getting swept by The Rays the Fucksox are in The Big Apple for a four game series and I have a ticket for each game.

The Fucksox come into town angry and ashamed and The Yankees are frustrated and hungry. It should be quite a series.

Last night the Yankee bats finally woke up and they scored some runs. It is only too bad that some of those runs couldn’t have turned up in the previous 3 games, but they didn’t. It was a fun game to watch. My seat was one of the extra tickets via my season ticket plan vouchers. It was only $5 and it was in the upper tier but not quite in the nose bleed section. Actually it was quite pleasant. At the end of the 3rd inning I was able to find an empty seat in the Loge area. The Yankees kicked butt, winning 18-7.

My matinee show, “Some Americans Abroad,” was really bad. It is in previews and I am certain the critics will trash it. It was soooooooooooo bad that I left at intermission, something I rarely do. It appeared to me that about 25% of the audience joined me in my exodus. Oh well, win some, lose some.

FOURTH OF JULY PLANS. One of the items I have had on my “Big Apple Things I Gotta Do” list since 1998 has been to walk from Yankee Stadium back to the apartment following a game. Each year it was the main thing that I didn’t get around to doing. Some of you may remember that several years ago I walked from the Northern tip of Manhattan to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, via Broadway, in two 6.5 mile installments

My criteria for this adventure has been: (1) following a day game, (2) nothing planned for after the game, and (3) decent weather with acceptable humidity. Well, this is the year and Friday, July 4th, will be the day, weather permitting, of course.

So, my plans will be - when the game is over, probably around 3:30, I will get a bottle of water and start walking south on River Avenue to 149th Street, East on 149th Street to Grand Concourse, South on Grand Concourse to 138th Street and then West on 138th Street to the Madison Avenue Bridge where I will cross over the Harlem River and into Manhattan. I calculate the total distance of this leg to be just over a mile.

When I cross the Harlem River I will then walk South on Madison down to 51st Street and back to the apartment. That distance is about 5.5 miles or a total of 6.5 miles. Along the way if I get tired or decide that I have had enough I can always hop the subway or a bus.

OK, now stop it!! I know what some of you are thinking. Yes, I know that part of the time I will be in East Harlem but, trust me, within the past week I have scoped out the area in detail via bus and walking and I feel comfortable about it, I really do, especially during the day. Calm down.

So, there you have it folks. I hope you have a great Fourth of July too!!

It is now time to get ready to head out to Yankee Stadium for game one, so ...

Go Yankees!!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: