Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday - July Is In The History Books - WOW!



I have just finished recording the stats for the month of July 2008 and in doing so even moi is in awe over the number of things and stuff I was able to do during the month. In checking my daily log (log, not diary - real guys don’t keep diaries) I find that in July 2008 I saw/attended/did the following:

1 Broadway show ({title of show]); 17 Off-Broadway shows; 1 rock music concert (Jon Bon Jovi); and, 15 Yankee baseball games (their record - 9 wins and 6 losses).

I had brunch with student/bartender/manager Scott Reed and passed my semi-annual finger-up-the-butt session with my Urologist with flying colors (PSA 1.1). I regret that I didn’t get to spend the usual amount of time with my AA buddies (and you know who you are).

Of the 31 nights in the month there was only one, repeat, one where I stayed in the apartment without attending some sort of entertainment event either during the day or the evening. I think that in and off itself is pretty awesome.

Now let me talk just a bit about my life-style in The Big Apple. When I retired in 1995 I knew I wanted to spend extended time in New York City and for the following 3 years I spent ever expanding periods of time here. My time in the City was spent becoming one with The Big Apple at a rather frenetic pace because I viewed myself as being on vacation. In June 1998 I made the conscious decision to become a full time resident and I did. The thought did occur to me that I might become jaded once I settled into the routine of living here on a full-time basis. I did begin traveling overseas, usually for the month of May.

I had nothing to worry about. If anything my entertainment appetite increased and I found that I had developed an interesting mind set and that was ... “I am still on vacation,” so, if you are in NYC on vacation you simply cannot, repeat, cannot stay in your apartment, even if the weather sucks and you feel like shit. And, that has pretty much been my mantra since June of ‘98.

It is helped by the fact that I have very diverse entertainment interests - theater (Broadway, Off and Off-Off Broadway), music (classical and rock), baseball, movies, art, museums and galleries, walking, being a tour guide for out-of-town guests; and, people watching.

From a financial standpoint I save a great deal of money through my memberships in 4 papering services and The Theater Development Fund (TDF). If I can get a ticket to a Broadway or Off Broadway show for the cost of one of those fancy Latte’s from Starbucks, why the hell should I not take advantage of it? And this option is presented to me 365 days a year. Money is also saved by being a subscriber to The New York Philharmonic and by being a partial season ticket package holder for the Yankees.

Before the creation of this blog I wrote a newsletter to friends and family wherein I detailed my activities in The City, the good and the bad. I have tried to do the same since creating this blog in April. It is important for me to be open and honest about what is going on in my life. I am what and who I am.

What I don’t want, however, is to be viewed as writing and posting for the purpose of saying ... “Hey, Look At Me, I Am So Much Better Than All of the Rest of You Retards.” That simply is not me. That is not why I write and blog.

I know deep in my heart that I have been blessed beyond my ability to comprehend for the past 13.5 years. For that all I can say is ...

Thank You Higher Power.

Bill
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: