Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Billi Pod Blogs Returns


Tuesday==>yes, yes my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the hinterlands, wilderness and boondocks, your favorite blogger failed to fulfill has literary obligations to you yesterday when he failed to make a timely posting to this blog. The first such transgression in a long time. 

While it would be easy for me to give the usual excuses of too much to do in too short a time frame or just too tired to sit down in front of this ‘puter etc etc etc ... I will simply say==>I’M SORRY!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR MY TRANSGRESSIONS!!

So ... let’s get started with updates and observations since the last posting on Sunday afternoon, in basically chronologic order  ...

Easter Sunday - the barf-inducing performance by my Florida Gators in their embarrassing 79-59 loss to Michigan on national TV put me in a major funk, to put it mildly.

No, I don’t expect my teams to win every game but I do expect them to perform up to expectations. In this game they stunk in every conceivable category, reminding me of the equally barf-inducing performance by our football team in the 33-23 loss to Louisville in the 2013 Sugar Bowl aka the Booger Bowl.

I am happy to report, however, that Easter Sunday ended on a very positive note with the wonderful dinner at the Chelsea apartment of my friends Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman.

Not only was the food, prepared by Michael, excellent but so was the ongoing conversations and interaction(s) with the other guests, all of whom are/were “entertainment-industry” involved. Lots of funny stories and reminiscing. I got there at 5:30pm and left at 11:00pm.

THANK YOU MICHAEL AND DENNIS FOR INCLUDING ME ON YOUR FRIENDSHIP LIST.

Monday - very much a minus, then plus day. It was the  2013 Season Opening Day game out at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built. The pre-game ceremonies were scheduled to begin at 12:30pm and the first pitch to be at 1:05pm, so I left the cozy confines of PHC around 11:00am.

The day had started off well, with nice weather, so I dressed a bit lighter than I had expected to ... and that was a major mistake because as the afternoon progressed it got windier and windier and colder and colder. In fact, it was extremely unpleasant as the game was coming to an end.

On a positive note ... I am very pleased with my new seat location (the picture is the view from my new seat) in Section 213 on the first base side of the field. I am in row 23, which is the last row in the section, so it is well protected from the elements. My seat, #8, is positioned so that I am not bothered by the vendors in the aisles. As I said, all of this is very positive.

What wasn’t positive was the ball game itself. As you loyal and faithful readers and followers know, The Bronx Bummers lost to the Boston FuckSox 8-2, a game we were never in. Our starting pitcher was our ace, CC Sabathia, and he just didn’t have it, lasting only 5-innings and giving up 4 runs. 

Our bats were anemic and we failed to get hits with runners in scoring position, something that doomed last year’s team, too.

Of course I stayed until the bitter end. It began to lightly rain in the 9th inning and the stadium was virtually empty. It was eerie, to put it mildly.

When I finally got back to PHC I had time for the usual fruit and cheese plate and then it was time to head out to my evening’s entertainment event, a Broadway show, in early previews, that I had booked in the morning just before leaving for the game ...

8:00==>THE TESTAMENT OF MARY - “In this one-woman play Fiona Shaw is Mary, the mother of Jesus, 20-years after the crucifixion, in a tale of motherhood, grief and the loss of faith.” (Broadway - complimentary ticket) 

Just before the show I ran into my theater buddies Dian Crystal aka My Lady and Marty Kosarik aka Who Is That? and we walked over to the theater. Marty had seen the show and was making a second visit.

He told me that before the show starts the audience is invited to come on stage and walk around the set. And, I did just that ... so ... I can truthfully say that last night was Billi Pod’s Broadway on-stage debut.


Now ... Billi Pod’s report card==>A.

Fiona Shaw gives a Tony-worthy performance as Mary, the troubled mother of Jesus, as she talks about the events leading up to the crucifixion and the spine-tingling details of the brutal act itself.

Of course the story line is informative and the 90-minute running time flies by. She received a well-deserved standing ovation.

Billi Pod says==>see this show.

When I got back to PHC I was emotionally drained and in no mood to finish the earlier draft of this posting. Thank God I had some pizza in the ‘fridge.

OK, now that pretty much takes care of the past ... so ... what about today ...

Billi Pod still has most of his usual Monday errands still to do, so that will be the afternoon.

Tonight’s entertainment event is an Off Broadway musical playing at a theatre on my block ... 

7:30==>SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR - “Doris and George are happily married - to others - when they meet and have an affair at an inn in Mendocino in 1951. They return, each year, and we see them every five years until 1975.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This is part of the Musicals Tonight Series and I have liked their work in the past.

So ... finally ... there you have it my loyal and faithful readers and followers. You are now up-to-date and it is time for me to begin working on my errands and chores list ... so ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.15  miles (or, 11,253 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,300.13 miles 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: