Thursday, April 4, 2013

Wednesday Was A Major Downer


Thursday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, yesterday was pretty much of a downer-day for your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

It began with an Off Broadway show that totally failed to live up to my expectations and ended with another dismal outing from my Bronx Bombers ... so ... I will share the details with you now ...

Report card on yesterday afternoon’s Off Broadway show at the Baryshniknov Arts Center ...

KAFKA’S MONKEY, about a reluctantly civilized ape discussing his prior life with a group of scientists==>C+

The show just didn’t work for me and the C+ is giving it the benefit of the doubt. Yes, there is decent acting from Kathryn Hunter, who has a lithe and very flexible body. It was the story itself that totally failed to involve me.

I wasn’t alone. At one point the ape tells how frustrating it had been because he couldn’t escape ... well ... a guy seated behind me said ... “neither can we.” 

My theater buddies Dian Crystal aka My Lady and Marty Kosarik aka Numnutz were also at the show and they each gave it lower grades than I did. So ...

Billi Pod says==>you are warned!!

When I got back to PHC I had plenty of time to have the usual fruit and cheese plate and basically chill until it was time for my second planned event and that was to watch the second game of the YANKEES/FUCKSOX series at Yankees Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built.

At 7:05pm I settled in front of the tube ... and ...

Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, that game was also a major downer because we lost 7-4, a score that is a bit misleading because we were never truly in the game.

Our starting pitcher, Hiroki Kuroda, had to leave the game in the second inning after he took a line drive off his pitching hand. Downer!!

These are the headlines in the 3 local newspapers ...

“PITCH SLAPPED. Hiroki hurt as ailing Yanks get hammered again.” - back page of the New York Post.

“BRUISE BROTHERS. Kuroda joins list of Yankee wounded as Bombers drop another to Bosox.” - back page of the Daily News

KURODA IS HURT, ALONG WITH YANKS’ PRIDE. Hafner’s homer offers only a brief reprieve in another loss to Boston.” - front page of the sports section of the New York Times

I have to say, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, that in this 7-4 loss we looked about as inept as our most pessimistic observers envisioned. By the end of the game the stadium was virtually empty.

Yes, I know, it is only two games, but I have seen them in person (game one) and on the tube (game two) and they exude nothing but gloom, doom and despair.

Billi Pod says==>Major Downer!!

In yesterday’s posting I shared that I had planned to stay in the warm and cozy confines of PHC tonight to watch game #3 on the tube, with Andy Pettitte (5-4) on the mound for The Yankees vs. Ryan Dempster (12-8) for the FuckSox.

Well ... no f**king way is that gonna happen ... yep ... instead, this morning I booked the following entertainment event for tonight ...

7:30==>NEW AMSTERDAM SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA @ Symphony Space - “Movie Music - Out of This World. Music from Middle Earth to Outer Space.” (concert - $9.00 TDF ticket)

Now, this does sound interesting, doesn’t it?

Moving on ...

Well, it is now official==>Jimmy Fallon will be replacing Jay Leno on “The Tonight Show” in February 2014. The show will move from Los Angeles to the NBC headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, here in The Big Apple.

NBC paid Leno an extra $14M to ease him out of his contract in order to move the transition to February. Money talks, so Jay has decided to walk-the-walk.

I like Fallon a lot so this will cause Billi Pod major problems because he has been a devoted follower of David Letterman for years and years, especially the first 30-minutes of the show. Oh well ... will just worry about that when the time comes.

So ... I think it is probably past time to end this downer/negative posting ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>2.84  miles (or, 6,217 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,304.51 miles 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: