Thursday, April 25, 2013

Yesterday’s Doubleheader And Other Stuff, Too.

Thursday==>It is a bright, balmy, sunny day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World - 54º at noon.

Let’s get started with Billi Pod’s report card on yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader ... first ...

THE MADRID, about a mother who, for no apparent reason, cold-bloodily runs away from her family==>B

The acting was excellent but the story line is basically unbelievable and forced. I can certainly understand the mixed reviews.

Edie Falco did a nice job in the difficult role of the mother but it was Phoebe Strole as the daughter, Sarah, and Frances Sternhagen as the grandmother, Rose, who stole the show, IMHO.

The show runs through May 5th at the Manhattan Theatre Club on West 55th Street.

When the show was over I came back to PHC for the usual pre-theater snack, a fruit and cheese plate,  and then it was time to head uptown to Lincoln Center for my classical music concert ...

NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall==>WONDERFUL.

The highlight was Emanuel Ax performing Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 2. 

I also totally enjoyed Bruckner’s Symphony No. 3 and the 54-minute running time flew by.

When the concert was over I considered walking back to PHC so I could listen to the final innings of the YANKEES/RAYS game but the game was over by the time my concert finished. The Yankees lost 3-0 even though Andy Pettitte pitched a decent game. Our bats were just dead.

Tonight @ 7:05pm out at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, it will be game 1 of the 4-game series with Toronto. Hiroki Kuroda (2-1) will be on the mound for The Bronx Bombers vs. Mark Buehrie (1-0) for The Jays.

And ... speaking of tonight ... well ... I have something very special and it is ... tada ...

At 8:00pm John Scott Reed aka Fabson and Bernard Lam are treating me to a 79th birthday dinner at Nicoletta, an upscale pizzeria in The East Village.

Really looking forward to this because we have a lot of catching-up to do.

While I am talking about my 79th birthday==>I want to thank everyone who took the time to email, text, post, call etc. It really meant a lot to me.

There was one notable absence that I still don’t understand ... but ... what is, is ... so ... I gotta move on ... 

And this brings me to the future of my walking challenges ...

My plan is to continue recording my daily walking mileage in order to see how many miles I can log in the 12-month period that began back on July 1, 2012.

I want to thank my former law school roomie David West, now living in Paris, who provided the following information ... 

“FYI 
Google Maps shows if you walked from NYC to Bartow, you would have walked 1,151 miles and would have taken 377 hours. Congrats. 
David”

I hate to close on a downer ... but ... in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to share with you loyal and faithful readers and followers the fact that tomorrow’s concert, Rock ‘n’ Roll Express, with Styx, REO Speedwagon and Ted Nugent, was canceled. I was planning to attend with my theater-buddy Marty Kosarik.

Why? Well, this is from the Styx website ...

“Due to unforeseen logistical conflicts at IZOD Center, the concert originally scheduled for Friday, April 26 at IZOD Center has been canceled.

Unfortunately, as a result of production miscalculations on the part of the promoter, Metropolitan Entertainment, complications arose between college graduations scheduled for earlier that day and the concert event.

Regrettably, there is no rescheduled date.”

That sounds weird doesn’t it?

Oh well ... 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.37 miles (or, 9,552 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,402.49 miles 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: