Friday, November 11, 2011

VETERANS DAY==>WE MUST NEVER FORGET!!

I was part of the Universal Military Training generation, where basically every physically fit guy ultimately served in some branch of the military, unless he qualified for an extremely difficult to get exemption.


I was in the Army in 1955-57. Basic training at Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC, then US Army Intelligence School at Ft. Holabird in Baltimore, MD.


Then was in Washington, DC, as a member of a Counter-Intelligence Corps (CIC) unit. We were basically undercover since we were outfitted in civilian clothes (paid for by the Army) and our rank was classified. I had a Top Secret Clearance. My unit mostly did background investigations for security clearances.


We were required to live “off-base” so 4 buddies and I rented a house in Arlington, VA.


I only put on my uniform to get the weekend $2.00 round-trip tickets from DC to New York City. Me and 2 of my buds would head up to NYC about twice a month.


I got an early release in order to return to the University of Florida, as a 23yo Sophomore. There was no GI Bill at that time. It was later restored but not made retroactive if you had already received your degree(s).


I was in the Inactive Reserve for 8 years and then received my Honorable Discharge.


I am very proud of the time I was in the service and, of course, am busting with pride over the willingness of my oldest grandson, Alex Falletta aka Army Guy, to place himself in harms way in order to protect this great Country of ours.


GOD BLESS AND PROTECT YOU ALEX AND ALL OF YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ARMS. WE MUST NEVER, EVER, FORGET!!


Man ... it is extremely difficult to segue from this into my usual reports on my entertainment schedule etc etc, but ... it has to be done for you loyal and faithful readers out there in the vastness of cyberspace ... so ...


Billi Pod’s report card on last night's LOBBY HERO==>A<==great acting and a powerful story line about a hapless security guard who gets caught in a power struggle between his boss and two police officers investigating a murder.


My only quibble is that there was just a bit too much yelling. The characters were either briefly happy or screaming and cursing at one another.


The Off-Broadway house was sold-out and the audience was really into the performance.


It runs through Nov. 20th==>see it if you can.


One extremely positive note==>I ran into my friend Dick Brukenfeld from Dobbs Ferry just before the show began. He was there without his wife Mimi. I hadn’t seen Dick in a long long time so it was great to have a little catching-up time.


Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

9:00==>QUEEN OF THE MIST - "The world premiere of a musical based on the astounding, outrageous, and haunting true story of Anna Edson Taylor, who, in 1901, set out to be the first woman to shoot Niagara Falls, in a barrel of her own design.” (Off Broadway - discounted ticket)


Yep, the 9:00pm time is correct. The show has received basically favorable reviews and those of my theater buddies who have seen it have all had very positive things to say.


Speaking of favorable reviews ... Hugh Jackman’s one man show, HUGH JACKMAN, BACK ON BROADWAY, has received uniformly positive reviews, the majority of which are raves.


As I was preparing this posting the thought hit me that I had better get off my butt and see if I could score a ticket before the limited run sells out so ... immediately went online and ...


I am happy to report that I have a decent seat in the front mezzanine for the Wednesday matinee on November 23rd. Awesome!. It is, of course, full-price.


I hope all of my Worker Bee friends have a great weekend.

OMFG!! The thought of what is going to happen to my Gators tomorrow makes my heart pound and makes me want to puke. Spurrier is gonna try to grind us into the ground, trust me on this ... he will. OMFG!! Anyway ...


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-79

No comments: