Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Saturday Doubleheader For Billi Pod

Last night’s NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC concert was excellent, especially Bruckner’s Symphony No. 7, which clocks in at 64 minutes.


As I reported yesterday, my ticket for this concert was complimentary, meaning I had no clue where the seat would be. I felt it probably would be in the very upper nosebleed section of Avery Fisher Hall.


Well, it was in the 2nd tier, 3rd row, center. Not bad, not bad at all. These seats regularly sell for $40.00.


In the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to state that there were lots of empty seats in the orchestra area, which I think continues to reflect the long-term effects of our fragile economy.

When I got back to PHC I settled in to watch the final half of the Oklahoma State/Iowa State game. OSU was ranked #2 in the BCS poll. Iowa State was unranked.


Well, you know the outcome, Iowa State overcame a 17-point deficit and won in double-overtime, sending the college football universe into yet another tailspin. What a crazy season this has been and it ain’t over yet.


Billi Pod has a doubleheader today ... first ...


2:00==>THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF STEVE JOBS - “This one-man show by Mike Daisey illuminates how the CEO of Apple and his obsessions shaped our lives. Daisey also shares stories of his travels to China to investigate the factories where millions toil to make iPhones and iPods.” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)


This show has received excellent reviews. I have really liked Daisey’s previous shows so I am looking forward to this one.


It is playing downtown at the Public Theatre. When the show is over I will leisurely walk up to Union Square, find someplace for coffee and something sweet, and then go to the movie theater located at Broadway and 13th Street for the second part of my doubleheader ... which is ... tada ...


6:20==>MONEYBALL - “Brad Pitt shines as Oakland A’s General Manager Billy Beane who is trying to change baseball’s economic rules of success.”


Yes, Billi Pod is finally fulfilling his promise to Self and that will make him (Billi Pod and Self) feel good about the state of his/their entertainment World.


I am sure that you loyal and faithful readers picked up on the omission of the GATOR/FURMAN game at 2:00pm. The reason==>it ain’t being carried up here on any of hundreds of channels. Oh well ...


In response to several emails and texts - yes, I have plans for Thanksgiving.


As I have done for the past three years, I will have dinner with several of my AA buddies, and their families, at a rather posh Upper Westside apartment. Thanks for asking.


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-87

No comments: