Monday, November 7, 2011

Sunday’s Doubleheader Was Epic

Another beautiful fall morning in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.


Let me start this blog with a gentle reminder to all of my Worker Bee friends out there in the vastness of cyberspace==>hey guys and gals, the weekend is over. It’s time to get back to building the Gross National Product.


Billi Pod had an excellent weekend, capped by an epic entertainment doubleheader yesterday.


First up was WILD ANIMALS YOU SHOULD KNOW playing at a theatre down in The West Village. Before the show I met up with my theater buddies Dian, Vera and Marty.


The acting was excellent although I was somewhat disappointed at the relatively minor role given to one of my favorite actresses, Alice Ripley. The story line was interesting as it dealt with who was, or wasn’t, the predator in an incident of alleged sexual misconduct on a Boy Scout camping trip.


Billi Pod’s report card==>B+


After the show I took the subway up to midtown and had time for a small bite before the second show ...


SUICIDE, INCORPORATED, in the bowels of the Lara Pels Theatre on 46th Street.


Dian, Vera, Marty and I met up with Julie and Andy and we basically took over the entire front row of the small theater.


The acting in this “dark comedy” about writing the perfect suicide note, was excellent and, as usual for a so-called “dark comedy” the story line was much more dark than comedic.


In the name of fair and unbiased reporting I have to admit that I found the theme to be very unsettling based on my own personal experiences involving myself and the loss of two of my closest friends.


Having said that - Billi Pod’s report card is==>B+


So, my loyal and faithful readers, I think you will agree that Billi Pod had a very intense entertainment doubleheader. Yes, even ... epic!!


You know ... a random thought just hit me ...


Growing up in a small town in Central Florida in the 40s and 50s there were 3 things that every boy HAD to do, regardless of talent, ability or desire (or lack thereof):


1. Be a Boy Scout


2. Play football (or at least tryout for the team each year in High School)


3. Spend the summer working at a shade tobacco farm in Windsor, Connecticut.


Billi Pod (not his name back then) did all three.


I have no clue what prompted this train of thought ... it just came out ... and I had to share it with you loyal and faithful readers.


Now on to other things ...


This being a Monday Billi Pod will spend most of the day doing things and stuff and then for this evening it will be ...

7:30==>TWENTY ONE SONG SALUTE - Benefit for Lauri Strauss Leukemia Foundation - featuring Debra Monk, Tom Wopat and Billy Stritch, among others. (complimentary ticket)


I am rather confident this will be one of those “love-it” or “hate-it” events.


In closing==>I apologize for the spam email that you recently received from my AOL email account. Obviously it was hacked. I have scanned my hard drive and removed what I believe to be the culprit.


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-75

No comments: