Sunday, November 6, 2011

Another Eclectic Entertainment Doubleheader For Billi Pod

What a beautiful fall day in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.


Terrific weather for the New York City Marathon as multi-thousands of runners embark on a 26.2 miles adventure loaded with sweat, unimaginable aches and pain, frustration and then euphoria at the finish-line. How do I know this you are no doubt breathlessly (pun intended) asking?


Well my loyal and faithful readers, need I remind you that Billi Pod (not his name back then) ran in, and finished both the 1978 and the 1979 marathons? Before you nonbelievers begin to scoff==>I have pictures to prove it.


When I finished the 1978 marathon I remember thinking that I didn’t know you could have so much pain and still be alive. Truthfully, I hadn’t done the proper amount of training. I honestly don’t remember my exact time, I think it was in the late 5 hours. I vowed to train better and run again in 1979 and to have a better finish time.


And, I did and guess what ... my time in ‘79 was virtually same as ‘78 because I developed serious leg cramping at the 20 mile mark, in The Bronx, and thought that I wouldn’t be able to finish. Well, I did but only with a lot of running-walking-running in the final 6.2 miles.


The nice thing ... this 77 year old guy can say this about The New York City Marathon==>”Been There, Done That - Twice.”


Now, on to other things ... like ...


Billi Pod’s report card on GODSPELL==>A<==as in Awesome!


A great cast, headed by Hunter Parrish as Jesus. The energy and enthusiasm of the cast swept over the audience, seated “In the Round.” Just before the show started I counted 12 empty seats and they may have been filled after the show started. Yes, the audience was 100% into the show.


My seat was awesome, a single seat by itself in the 3rd row, on the aisle, directly in front of one of the guitar players and right next to an area where the actors gathered off-stage. I actually had visual interaction with several of them, including Hunter Parrish.


It was a wonderful evening’s entertainment and Billi Pod doesn’t understand the negative carping on some of the theater chat boards. Get real people!


Folks, if you want to have fun, laugh, sigh, smile and enjoy ... see this show!!!


When the show was over I raced back to PHC to catch the final half of the LSU/’BAMA game, won by LSU in overtime. It was a very exciting game to watch. I was pulling for ‘Bama because The Bill is a huge ‘Bama fan. For some reason it seems that I can cheer for his teams but he never can for mine ... go figure. I guess this is just the many roles in being a father.

And, speaking of my teams ... yes, The Gators won their game over Vandy but folks ... Vandy hasn’t won a game at The Swamp since 1941, yep, that’s the correct date.


Yes, there was actually angst, worry, fear and dread among Gator fans about the possibility of losing to a program derisively known around the SEC as the "Commode Doors."


Without a doubt, the Gators are struggling. Coach Muskrat’s team is disturbingly devoid of quality talent and depth and we will get our butts kicked by both South Carolina and Half Ass U.


Billi Pod predicts the future to be==>we will eke out a win over Furman to become bowl-eligible, accept an invitation to The Outhouse Bowl where we will play North Dakota State Junior College, winning 6-3 in triple overtime.


Yep ... just remember where you read it first.

Now about today ... Billi Pod has yet another eclectic entertainment doubleheader ...


3:00==>WILD ANIMALS YOU SHOULD KNOW - “A tale of ruin and redemption that takes a magnifying glass to the sometimes blurry line between predator and prey.” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)


The incomparable Tony Award-winner Alice Ripley (Next to Normal) heads up the ensemble cast.


Before the show I hope to meet up with my theater buddies Dian, Vera and Marty.


Then for the evening is ...

7:00==>SUICIDE, INCORPORATED - “A darkly funny new play takes us to an unorthodox writing service that specializes in crafting the perfect suicide note” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


Yeah, I know ... but ... the advance buzz on this show has been very favorable.


I will close this posting by wishing that all of my Worker Bee friends have an enjoyable remainder of the weekend.


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-74

No comments: