Sunday, November 20, 2011

Saturday’s Doubleheader==>AWESOME!!

OK my loyal and faithful readers out there in cyberspace, let’s get right to Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s awesome entertainment doubleheader ...


But, before we do ... let me make this observation as a response to several recent kinda snarky comments/texts ...


Yes ... yes ... I know I use the terms “awesome,” “terrific,” and “excellent” probably way too often in this blog, but ... remember ... in planning my entertainment schedule and events I make a conscious effort to make sure things are indeed “awesome,” “terrific,” and “excellent.” On any given day Billi Pod will have the option of choosing between 20-25 entertainment events. He will also have the benefit of reviews, chat board discussions, and friends recommendations to assist him in his choices.


Sometimes he will make a bad choice but more times than not the events he schedules will live up to their expectations, making his schedule “awesome,” and/or “terrific,” and/or “excellent.”


And this is why he loves living in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.


Now ... moving on to Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s AWESOME entertainment doubleheader ...

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY OF STEVE JOBS==>A.


This one-man show by Mike Daisey illuminates how the CEO of Apple and his obsessions shaped our lives. It has a lot of very in-our-face humor plus disturbing and troubling information regarding Apple and exploited workers in China.


The house was full and the audience was very much into this performance, which clocks in at 1:50, without intermission. It is extremely thought-provoking.


See this!! It runs through December 4th.


When the show was over I had about 2 hours to kill before my next event. It was a bit brisk but otherwise nice, so I walked leisurely up Broadway to the Union Square area and just chilled (no pun intended) until it was time for ...

MONEYBALL==>A+


In this very favorably reviewed movie Brad Pitt shines as Oakland A’s General Manager Billy Beane, who is trying to change baseball’s economic rules of success.


Brad Pitt is remarkable as are Jonah Hill and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. The movie serves as a reminder that money is neither the measure of a man nor the ultimate assessment of quality.


I am soooooo glad I finally got around to seeing this. Was very surprised that the house was full. The running time is 2:15, which is a bit long.


Had a bit of a scary moment before the show. As I was looking for the men’s room for the mandatory pit (pun intended) stop before the show, the teeming masses were told that none of the restrooms in the multiplex were available due to “water-pressure” problems.


I thought there was going to be a riot but people finally calmed down. Man, thought Billi Pod, this could be a huge problem because he already had the urge to pee and he knew the length of the movie.


Oh well, he thought ... ain’t nothing he could do about it, so he went to find a seat. About 5 minutes before show time he thought he would check things out and ... whew ... the restrooms were back in operation ... whew ...


Now I am certain many of you are wondering ... “why the f**k is he telling us about this?” Well ... folks ... it is very simple ... he is because he can ... so live with it ...


Back to the movie - if you are a baseball fan then this is a “must-see.”


Came back to PHC and spent the rest of the evening watching college football.

And, speaking of football ... at least the Gators finally pulled out a win over Ferment University. Thank God I didn’t opt to change all of my plans and watch it on PPV. It was bad enough following it on my ESPN app.


I can’t remember the last time I had such a negative feeling about a Gator team. I guess it was back in the Zook era.


And, Half Ass U lost last night to Sarasota Junior College which means they will come into The Swamp next Saturday night (7:00pm on ESPN2) looking for blood. Folks, it ain’t gonna be nice, trust Billi Pod on this.


Anyway ...


It is a bright and beautiful fall day in The Big Apple, a little brisk at 46º at 8:00am.


This is good because Billi Pod has yet another entertainment doubleheader for today --

3:00==>TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD - “Scout, a young girl in a quiet southern town, is about to experience the dramatic events that will affect the rest of her life. She and her brother, Jem, are being raised by their widowed father, Atticus. Wide-eyed Scout is fascinated with the sensitively revealed people of her small town, but, from the start, there's a rumble of thunder just under the calm surface of the life here. Based on the novel by Harper Lee, dramatized by Christopher Sergel.” (Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket)


I am really looking forward to this show because I have a history with this play.


What, you are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well, there are two things ... first ...


About 20 years ago I played the bad guy, Bob Ewell, in a production by Theatre Winter Haven. I won the annual “Best Supporting Actor” award.


Then in 2000 I made my Off Broadway debut in a production by The Actors Conservatory Theatre, in which I played Mr. Gilmore, the prosecuting attorney. Actually, it was my way way way way Off Broadway debut since the show was performed in Yonkers.


My dear friends Marvin and Polly Mounts of West Palm Beach and Bob Kent and Billy Denaher of Jacksonville came up to Yonkers to see the show.


I will give some more details about all of this in my posting tomorrow.


The second part of Billi Pod’s entertainment doubleheader is ...

7:00==>BURMESE DAYS - “This world premiere production of George Orwells first novel, is an uncompromising look at the underbelly of the British Empire. Love, friendship and morality are tested against the bitter reality of life in colonial Burma.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This is playing at the 59E59 Theaters, one of my favorite venues.


So, my loyal and faithful readers, I will now post this and finish reading the 3 daily papers and then get ready to head out to the Upper Eastside for my first show.


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-88

No comments: